HomeSportSoccerStorm brews at Motor Action

Storm brews at Motor Action

-

A big storm is brewing in the Motor Action camp with a number of players who the team registered for the African Caf Champions League set to leave the club.

Impeccable sources at the league champions told NewsDay Sport that at least three senior players want out because the club owes them money.

The Mighty Bulls held their first training session on Tuesday as they stepped up their preparations for their maiden Champions League campaign.

The Eric Rosen-owned club will kick-start their campaign with a date with relatively unknown Cnaps of Madagascar in the preliminary round first leg tie at Rufaro Stadium during the weekend of January 28-30.

However, their first session was marred by the suspicious absence of two of their leading players, captain Bheki Ncube and midfielder Charles Sibanda, who are believed to be on the verge of leaving the club.

Sibanda, who was instrumental in the Motor Action’s charge for the championship and a hot favourite to land the Soccer Star of the Year award and Ncube, who was the rock on which the Mighty Bulls built their campaign last season, did not turn up for training again.

Team manager Johnson “Schoolboy” Mhungu said the duo, who are based in Bulawayo, were still on their way and will join the rest of the squad soon.

“They are on their way and we expect them to join the rest of the squad tomorrow (today),” said Schoolboy. “I’m not privy the contract issues. The right person to comment on that one is Rosen himself,” added the team manager.

Efforts to get a comment from Rosen were fruitless as he was not unreachable on his mobile phone.

However, highly-placed sources said the two players did not report for duty because they are protesting over outstanding monies they are owed by the club. He also revealed that half of the team’s contracts expired last year and they are still yet to sign new deals.

“The players are owed huge amounts by the club. Others who signed in 2009 have not received their signing-on fees as yet and I strongly suspect that the team will lose a number of players if they do not act swiftly,” said the source.

Sibanda and Ncube’s contracts expired on December 31 last year.

l Meanwhile, Harare giants Dynamos are chasing after the signature of young Simba Sithole as they seek to strengthen their squad for the Orange Caf Champions League.

The 19-year-old former Shooting Stars player, who is a free agent after his contract with the financially struggling team expired last year, is the target of many Premiership clubs but Dynamos seem to be the frontrunners for the striker’s signature.

Sources at Dynamos revealed the two parties have agreed in principle and the Under-20 captain, who is away in Zambia with the Under-23 squad, will put pen to paper when he returns from Lusaka.

“The deal is done. As far as I know Simba is now a Dynamos player,” said the highly-placed source.

“Negotiations have been going on for two weeks now and I understand the player has agreed in principle to join the club,” added the source.

The source also revealed the striker is hesitant to rush into signing a deal because foreign clubs have shown interest in him.

“There are foreign clubs who have shown interest in the player, that is why he is hesitant to commit himself to Dynamos. There are two clubs from South Africa and another one from Belgium which have shown willingness to engage his services but if those deals fail to materialise, Simba will be playing for Dynamos next season,” said the source.

Sought for comment, Sithole could not confirm or deny that he has agreed in principle to join the Harare giants.

Recent Posts

Stories you will enjoy

Recommended reading