HomeSportSoccerBancABC fiasco

BancABC fiasco

-

Dynamos and Caps United are yet to receive their cash prizes for competing in the BancABC Sup8r Cup final last Saturday, amid reports that players from both sides are contemplating boycotting this weekend’s closing Premiership matches if they are not given their dues.

Dynamos won the final on a 3–2 scoreline and were guaranteed a US$40 000 cheque while the losing finalists Caps United are expected to pocket US$15 000.

However, the two teams have not received their money, five days after the entertaining blockbuster final at the National Sports Stadium amid reports that players from both camps are planning sit-ins over the money.

Highly-placed sources at the PSL said BancABC was holding on to the money, demanding that the PSL should open an account with the bank.

“It’s a petty excuse by the BancABC; they said they will only transfer the money if the PSL has opened an account with them,” said the source.

“Teams who were eliminated earlier in the competition were told to open accounts with the bank and their money was transferred straight into those accounts. I don’t know why the Dynamos-Caps situation is being treated differently. “For these, they were told that their money should go to the PSL first and then it will be distributed to the clubs.”

Sought for comment, Desmond Ali, the BancABC marketing manager said they did not deal with the clubs individually but with the PSL.

“We don’t deal with individual clubs but with the PSL. The PSL is our client here, and I cannot tell you if the money has been disbursed to PSL yet or not, you can confirm that with them,” said Ali.

The PSL on Wednesday confirmed that the two teams had not received the money.

PSL acting chief executive officer Kenny Ndebele said they were still calculating the monies and the two teams would get their money as soon as possible.

“We are still calculating the money, as you are aware Dynamos has to pay fines as per the ad hoc judgement. As soon as we finish sorting out that issue, we will give them their money and hopefully we will do that before this Friday.”

Ndebele rubbished the allegations that BancABC was holding on to the cash.

“There is nothing like that, in actual fact the PSL has an account with BancABC, we just need to activate it.”

The ad-hoc committee that deliberated on the aborted BancABC semifinal ordered Dynamos to pay rival Highlanders compensation after the Harare giants failed to turn up at the National Sports Stadium for the replay. Dynamos are set to lose a third of their prize money.

However, as the PSL are still “calculating the prize money” there is a big storm brewing at the two clubs with sources claiming that players have threatened to boycott their final matches of the season if they have not received their salaries.

A source at Dynamos said the players threatened to boycott training on Wednesday demanding among other things, the BancABC money.

“The team trained today (Wednesday) at Rufaro Stadium but under protest. The players are demanding their winning bonuses and allowances from the previous games. They are also demanding their BancABC money and I’m not sure if they will train tomorrow (Thursday). They have even threatened not to fulfill their last fixture against Black Mambas, it’s just a mess,” said the source.

Recent Posts

Stories you will enjoy

Recommended reading