Hwange stage stunning comeback


Kiglon……………..(2) 2
Hwange……………(0) 3

Hwange turned on the power in the second half with three goals to collect maximum points as troubled Kiglon Bird wasted a two-goal lead in a Premier Soccer League (PSL) match played at Rufaro stadium Sunday.

An Edmore Chitato brace in the first half looked to have settled the game but Hwange hit back in the second half to score through Gilbert Zulu, Andrew Chuma and Simon Njeleza.

Hwange moved to seventh position on the PSL log standings with 25 points. Kiglon, who have not paid their players’ salaries since the season started, remained on 10th position with 18 points.

Hwange head coach Tennant Chilumba was impressed by his team’s performance in the second half.

“Credit to the boys, they played according to instructions,” said Chilumba.

“I told them at half-time that you can only lose a game after 90 minutes and they responded very well.”

Chilumba, however, was not happy about his team’s defence for conceding “soft goals”.

His opposite number, Lloyd Mutasa, was understandably not impressed by his team’s performance after losing the two-goal lead.

“It’s very disappointing to lose like that,” said Mutasa.

“We conceded three identical goals from set-pieces. My team lacked individual concentration.”

Mutasa, however, said his team will get their act together in their next game and vowed they would not face relegation at the end of the season.

Kiglon started the game brightly and were on the score sheet as early as the second minute, when striker Chitato headed in from a Takesure Chirangwi cross from the left flank.

Hwange came back a very different side after the breather, closing down their hosts quickly whenever in possession, aa tactic they had not used in the first half.

With 56 minutes on the clock, midfielder Njeleza pulled one back for the coal miners with a thunderous shot from inside the penalty box.

Five minutes later, Chuma equalised with a header from a John Kapenya corner before Zulu completed a remarkable comeback for the visitors on the 68th minute with another header enabling Hwange to steal all three points.

l Meanwhile, at Shabanie Mine, the asbestos miners failed to take advantage of struggling Bantu Rovers to collect maximum points at their fortress, Maglas Stadium.

Bantu became the third team to leave Zvishavane with a point after Shooting Stars (draw) and champions Gunners (win), but this has left the Bulawayo side still at the bottom.

Shabanie Mine remained fourth on the log with 28 points from 15 games — the same number of points as Gunners.