Warriors snub Zifa over Asia probe

0
381

While there is little doubt that Zimbabwe Football Association (Zifa) president Cuthbert Dube is determined to get to the bottom of the so-called Asia trip scandal, there are so many pitfalls and restrictions to the investigation committee headed by Ndumiso Gumede.
Gumede himself yesterday admitted they were faced with a mammoth task although he said they had made considerable inroads into the matter.
Gumede, with three other Zifa board members; Methembe Ndlovu (development), Benedict Moyo (competitions) and Elliot Kasu (finance) were tasked by Dube to probe the Warriors trip to Asia on December 28 last year.
The trip was not approved by the Sports and Recreation Commission (SRC) and the supreme sports body has demanded an enquiry on who sanctioned the trip, which saw Zimbabwe play Thailand, Syria and a Malaysian club.
All member associations are supposed to be cleared by the SRC before they undertake any foreign trip.
There are allegations that the Warriors were engaged by betting syndicates hence the probe by the Zifa board. Zifa programmes officer Jonathan Musavengana has since been suspended over the trip.
Gumede said: “We held meetings with several people whom I shall not mention for professional reasons. The ones that came forward gave us good information. But we are having problems with players who are not forthcoming. If there are players out there willing to testify, they are free to do so.
“We are trying to clean the image of football and we will stop at nothing in our endeavour.”
Former Zifa president Wellington Nyatanga is believed to be among those who were questioned along with the chief executive officer Henrietta Rushwaya and former Zifa board member Gladmore Muzambi.
The committee grilled the individuals between Friday and Sunday at Dube’s business offices.