Chiyangwa case takes new twist

0
573

IN yet another twist to the Phillip Chiyangwa-land saga, the police on Tuesday summoned Councillor Charity Bango to their law and order section at the Harare Central Police Station.

Councillor Bango was acting mayor two weeks ago when Harare City Council made a fraud report against businessman Phillip Chiyangwa and two other council employees.

Bango in an acting capacity made the police report, IR number , over the alleged land scandal and handed over a special investigations report that also implicated Local Government Minister Ignatius Chombo.

Police Superintendent Crispen Makedenge on Monday called Bango and ordered her to report to Harare Central in relation to the fraud case.

“Yes I am actually coming from the police station and they are demanding that we furnish them with more information with regards to the fraud report we made some weeks ago. They are saying we should give them the amount of money that council claims to have been prejudiced through the land deals,” said Bango who was then consulting with lawyers.

Bango said she was shocked that she had to report to the police’s law and order section.

Police Spokesperson Assistant Commissioner Wayne Bvudzijena confirmed that they were working on the case adding that no arrests had been made so far.

“Yes, we have a report that was made by one Charity Bango where council is alleging fraud in which two Harare City employees Cosmas Zvikaramba and Psychology Chiwanga connived to sell Odar Farm to Philip Chiyangwa on September 2, 2009. So we are carrying out investigations into the matter,” said Bvudzijena.

Harare Mayor Muchadeyi Masunda and eight councilors were arrested, charged and taken to court last week for criminal defamation in which Chiyangwa is the complainant.

They were remanded out of custody and are expected to appear in court on May 6.

The state has called as witnesses, journalists at the Standard Newspaper in which the Chiyangwa story was published.

The business tycoon is suing the council and the newspaper for a whopping US$900 million claiming the story had damaged his reputation and companies that were named in the report had suffered huge losses following the publicity.