HomeSportSoccerMotor Action, Gunners draw

Motor Action, Gunners draw


Gunners (1)1
Motor Action (0)1

Log leaders Motor Action came back from a goal down to salvage a point against champions Gunners in a Premier Soccer League match played at Gwanzura Stadium Wednesday.

Captain Bhekimpilo Ncube’s simple tap in six minutes after the breather cancelled out an eighth minute own goal by defender Themba Ndlovu.

With the draw, the Might Bulls, who are now on 59 points, opened a two point gap, thanks to another blip by second placed Dynamos who were stunned by financially troubled Kiglon 1 – 0 at Rufaro stadium in another PSL match played at Rufaro yesterday.

Motor Action head coach Joey Antipas was content with the point and said the race to the premiership title is still a long way to go, despite the fact that there are only three games left before the season ends.

“It was a difficult game to play because of the rain but a point against Gunners who are on song is not bad at all,” said Antipas.

“I was impressed by the fighting spirit shown by the players; they kept on fighting and took the game to Gunners in the second half. The race to the title is still a long way to go and we will keep on fighting until the end,” added the Mighty Bulls coach.

Gunners coach Darlington Dodo said the draw was a fair result although the game was spoiled by the heavy pitch.

“It was a good game but spoiled by the waterlogged pitch,” said Dodo. “We didn’t do what we wanted, we would have wanted to beat both Dynamos and Motor Action in a row, but in all honest a draw was a fair result today (yesterday),” added Dodo.

Gunners humiliated Dynamos 1 – 0 last Sunday.
The much anticipated clash between the two teams was rather spoiled by the heavy downpour that hit town yesterday afternoon leaving the poorly drainage pitch was waterlogged.

Gunners were however first to settle down, enjoying ball possession and were rewarded as early as the eighth minute.

The evergreen Ali Sadiki whipped in a tantalising cross and in an attempt to clear the ball, defender Ndlovu, who was under pressure from Norman Maroto headed into his own net.

The closest the Mighty Bulls came to equalising in the first half was in the 43rd minute when Ncube’s shot rattled the cross bar after goalkeeper Tafadzwa Dube had failed to clear his lines.

Motor Action, sensing they might lose the three precious points upped the tempo in the second half, dominating possession with Ncube, Allan Gahadzikwa and Charles Sibanda controlling proceedings from the midfield.

It did not took long before Motor Action could find the equaliser. The exciting Malvin Longwe’s cross from the edge of the box was headed down by Enasio Perezo for Ncube to easily slot home from close range.

Recent Posts

Stories you will enjoy

Recommended reading