Crash victims named

0
611

Police yesterday released the names of 15 of the 19 people who perished in a horror crash at the 81-kilometre peg along the Harare-Bulawayo highway on Sunday morning.
Oliver Mandipaka, the police spokesperson, said the deceased’s next of kin were informed and the identity of the remaining four would soon be revealed.
Those identified were: Muchaneta Mutinha (34), Christopher Fombe (34), Tichaona Ziyachena (41), Zachariah Hlupo (71), Lloyd Wordworth Nenzou (24), Chifinya Fombe (28), Masotina Jakaza (40), Clever Mapfumo (23), Edmore Mapirimire (24), Allen Ngara (25), Elizabeth Musesa (34), Ruth Kanda (28) Beauty Nyawo (33), Silibaziso Ncube (31) and Aaron Moyo (25). Mandipaka said investigations into the accident were still underway.
He said information obtained so far indicated that the drivers of the two buses were over- speeding when they rammed into a stationary haulage truck which had broken down. “So far we are still in the process of investigating the actual cause of the crash. We call upon members of the public who think their relatives were aboard the two buses to liaise with police in Selous,” Mandipaka said.
“We would like to warn drivers to take our advice seriously to avoid causing horrific crashes such as this one. Drivers have to exercise caution on the road so that we avoid unnecessary loss of life. We have issued warnings to haulage truck drivers to pull off the road completely if they have a break down or place a reflective red triangle, metres away from the broken down vehicle.”
Mandipaka said it was not yet clear who was to blame for the accident but said caution was needed on the roads.
Turning to the injured, Mandipaka said most of them were in a stable condition and the number of the dead remained at 19.
Survivors of the horror crash yesterday blamed drivers of the two buses for causing the disaster with one of them saying the drivers were “racing” each other all the way from Chegutu.