Police have allegedly defied a court ruling ordering them to release postmortem results of Wilson Sabun, a suspect who died in custody on January 23.
A family spokesperson, Tendai Nyamugure, said the court order was on February 5, but police had not complied with the ruling handed down by a regional magistrate last week.
Authorities at Mutare Provincial Hospital, where Sabun was admitted and eventually died have complied with the court ruling and submitted records to the family.
Officer Commanding Police in Manicaland was cited as the first respondant in the application filed by Sabun’s wife, Rebecca Musariri.
The officer in charge of Mutare Central Police Station was cited as the second responded while the superintendant at the Mutare Provincial Hospital was cited as the third respondent.
Nyamugure said they were now in possession of a certified copy of the hospital file relating to the treatment of Sabun and notes recorded upon admission.
He said the records indicated that his death was caused by the beatings he was subjected to when he was in police custody.
Nyamugure said the police were not forthcoming on the matter.
“Police officers are bound to protect one another. It is a clear case,” Nyamugure said.
“Common sense tells you that if a person dies, post-mortem results are released to the family (but) the police just want to sweet the case under the carpet because if their hands were clean they should just release the post mortem results.”
Last week a regional magistrate, Lucy Mugwaru, ordered the police to immediately release the post-mortem results.
Sabun, who had been on the police wanted list since 2008, died after he was allegedly assaulted by police detectives who had arrested him on allegations of impersonating a police officer.