WARRIORS midfielder Marshall Munetsi has been ruled out of action until January next year after suffering an ankle injury playing for his French Ligue 1 club Stade Reims at the weekend.
The midfielder, who played in the last two World Cup qualifiers for Zimbabwe earlier this month, sustained a serious sprain on his right ankle in the match against Rennes on Sunday.
He was stretchered off the pitch just 33 minutes after he clashed with an opponent.
Unfortunately, it was the Warriors vice-captain who came out of the challenge worse.
Immediately after the match, his coach Will Still raised fears that his star player would be sidelined for a long time.
“He has a swollen ankle and it’s double in size,” said Still after the match. “In my opinion, we are going to lose him for a long time. I hope it’s not too serious, but I’m afraid it is,” he said.
Still’s fears were confirmed yesterday when it was revealed that Munetsi will not play football again this year.
L’Equipe, an authoritative publication in France, reported that the 27-year old will only return to action early next year, with his return date set for January 13 when Stade Reims play Monaco in a league match.
- Sables’ big night…face tricky tie against Ivory Coast
- Sables Trust assures stakeholders
- Zemura offered a pay rise at Bournemouth
- Is Zimbabwe ready for green building standards?
Following the injury, Ligue 1 posted on X wishing Munetsi — a hugely popular figure in the French Ligue 1 — a speedy recovery.
This is the second time that Munetsi has suffered an injury this season.
He was kept out for two games at the start of this month after suffering a broken nose.
The former Orlando Pirates man has established himself as a key member for both Stade de Reims and the Warriors due to his impressive displays.
He was recently named the Warriors vice-captain and featured in the national team’s recent back-to-back World Cup qualifiers against Nigeria and Rwanda, where the Baltemar Brito-coached side managed two draws.
A number of English Premier League teams are said to be tracking the utility player, with some reportedly preparing January bids for him.