AMH is an independent media house free from political ties or outside influence. We have four newspapers: The Zimbabwe Independent, a business weekly published every Friday, The Standard, a weekly published every Sunday, and Southern and NewsDay, our daily newspapers. Each has an online edition.

Chiefs sucker punch Bosso out

Baltemar Brito

BULAWAYO CHIEFS . . . . . (0)1

HIGHLANDERS . . . . . . . . . .  0

A 10-MEN Bulawayo Chiefs progressed to the semi-finals of the Chibuku Super Cup after dismissing Highlanders in a poor quarter-final match played at Barbourfields Stadium yesterday.

A Malvin Mkolo header past Highlanders goalkeeper Ariel Sibanda in the 67th minute was all the Ninjas needed to sail through to the next stage of the competition where they will face Black Rhinos, who had booted out Chicken Inn after a penalty shootout the previous day.

Obriel Chirinda was sent for an early shower on 88 minutes for Chiefs after collecting a second yellow card, but the Ninjas held on for a famous victory.

Bosso also ended the game with 10 men, after Peter Muduhwa was also sent off in optional time on a second bookable offence.

Chiefs assistant coach Thulani Sibanda owed to the attitude shown by his players in knowing where to hurt Highlanders the most.

“We are happy. I think the most important thing I saw was the attitude of the players. It was fantastic and excellent, the leadership shown by the likes of Madzongwe and the determination of Chirinda and Perfect Chikwende, the boys were just fantastic,” Sibanda said.

Highlanders coach Baltemar Brito apologised to the Highlanders fans.

“How can you explain a weak performance like that after a good impression at training during the week? It was a game of emotions. We say sorry to the fans and everyone who supports Highlanders. This was a week of going down,” Brito said.

That goal was always coming for Chiefs as they created better scoring chances.

Sibanda was a busy man between the goalposts making a penalty save in the 29th minute from Chirinda’s poorly-taken spot kick, awarded after he had been brought down in the 22nd minute inside the box by Mbongeni Ndlovu. Ndlovu was also cautioned by referee Allan Basvi.

Initially, Basvi sent off central defender Muduhwa for the offence but reversed the decision.

Muduhwa had picked up a yellow card in the 15th minute.

It was a pathetic first half for Highlanders who had no shot on target in the entire 45 minutes.

In the second half it was Chiefs again, getting a scoring opportunity in the 53rd minute, but Sibanda was alert to the danger.

Sibanda came to Highlanders rescue again in the 78th minute, making a spectacular save from a substitute Farau Matare effort.


Bulawayo Chiefs: D Bizabani, E Moyo, K Madzongwe, H Chikosa (F Matare 66'), L Ndlela, A Musiyiwa (B Nyahunzvi 86'), O Chirinda, M Mkolo, M Msebe, P Chikwende, F Moyo

Highlanders: A Sibanda, A Mbeba, G Makaruse, M Ndlovu, P Muduhwa, N Masuku, W Navaya (S Ngala 62'), D Mhindirira, L Chikuhwa, D Mukuli (A Sills 77'), R Lunga (P Mpelele 86')

Follow Fortune on Twitter @fmbele

Related Topics