×
NewsDay

AMH is an independent media house free from political ties or outside influence. We have four newspapers: The Zimbabwe Independent, a business weekly published every Friday, The Standard, a weekly published every Sunday, and Southern and NewsDay, our daily newspapers. Each has an online edition.

Union condemns Botha mine fatal accident

Local News
ZDAMWU general secretary Justice Chinhema

THE Zimbabwe Diamond and Allied Workers Union (ZDAMWU) has condemned a fatal incident that occurred at Botha Mine in Bindura, where a body was retrieved from a mine shaft on Wednesday last week. 

The deceased, identified by police as 28-year-old Saymore Machipisa, was recovered from a shaft at the mine after reportedly going missing a quite few days earlier. His body was taken to Bindura Hospital for a post-mortem to determine the cause of death. 

ZDAMWU general secretary Justice Chinhema described the incident as deeply disturbing and symptomatic of broader safety concerns in the mining sector. 

“As a union, we are deeply concerned whenever a life is lost or a body is discovered in or around a mining location and we convey our sincere condolences to the family and colleagues of the deceased,” Chinhema said. 

He noted that Botha Mine has been grappling with challenges related to artisanal and small-scale mining activities, which continue to expose workers and job seekers to grave danger. 

“We are aware that Botha Mine has been experiencing ongoing challenges related to artisanal and small-scale miners, which raises serious questions about safety standards, regulation and protection of all persons on or around the mine premises. This incident once again underlines the need for authorities, mining companies and trade unions to work together to ensure that safety measures protect everyone operating in or near the shafts, whether regularised or not,” he said. 

Chinhema said the union was still gathering information from relevant authorities regarding the exact circumstances surrounding the discovery of the corpse. 

“Once we have the facts, we will engage the authorities to demand a thorough investigation, transparency and accountability, and to push for stronger safety and security measures to prevent similar incidents in the future. Every person who enters a mine environment deserves protection, dignity and a safe workplace,” he added. 

Last week, Chinhema revealed that mine workers continue to operate without health insurance despite being exposed to hazardous working conditions. 

Several miners have lost their lives following shaft collapses, underground accidents and poor safety controls. Both large-scale and artisanal mining operations have recorded deadly incidents, often linked to disused shafts, unstable ground and inadequate safety equipment. 

Artisanal and small-scale miners, in particular, remain vulnerable as many operate without proper structural support, protective gear, or emergency response systems. 

Related Topics