Four-goal thriller in season opener

HOW MINE……………………….(2) 2
BULAWAYO CITY…………………(1)2

THE opening game of the 2016 Castle Lager Premier Soccer League season served up four goals as new boys Bulawayo City recovered from two goals down to earn a point against a 10-man How Mine at White City Stadium yesterday.


How Mine FC celebrate a win after penalty shoot out  during a match played with Highlanders at Barbourfields yesterday

How Mine, under new coach Kelvin Kaindu, raced to a 34th minute lead through Pascal Manhanga and doubled their advantage three minutes later when Charles Sibanda finished off a well-worked move for his side.

However, Bulawayo City rallied back with a converted penalty by skipper Xolisani Moyo in first half stoppage time, after How Mine defender Victor Kamhuka was adjudged to have fouled Mkhululi Moyo inside the penalty box.

The big central defender was shown a red-card for his troubles.

Substitute Humphrey Ncube then equalised for Bulawayo City in the 51st minute from a Lewis Ncube cross and despite the two teams creating chances later in the match, the contest ended in a stalemate.

How Mine coach Kelvin Kaindu was not happy with referee Philani Ncube’s decision to award City a penalty.

“We were leading comfortably and I think that it was harsh for us to get penalised. From where we were standing, it looked like it was a 50-50 situation. We are, however, not disappointed to come out with a draw although would have wanted to come out with maximum points,” Kaindu said.

In contrast, his counterpart Philani “Beefy” Ncube welcomed the point.

“We are a new team. We did not know what to expect, hence we conceded two soft goals. But I then told the boys in the dressing room that what we needed was character. But in terms of possession, How Mine were above us. This is a starting point, we will try to improve in the next game,” Beefy said.

How Mine’s first goal was from a short corner with Adolf Muganyi spotting an unmarked Manhanga, who beat goalkeeper Ndodanda Sibanda with a shot from outside the penalty box.

A build-up by Manhanga and Kuda Musharu then ended on Sibanda’s path whose grounder hit the back of the net.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *