DYNAMOS goalkeeper George Chigova has signed for South African Premiership side Supersport United and will leave in July.
Soccer website Laduma yesterday reported that the 22-year-old had signed a three-year deal.
“Matsatsantsa had submitted a bid for the shot-stopper, and it has since been revealed that they have been successful in their attempt to sign him,” reported the website.
The website further reported that the Tshwane-based side made their move after the big goalkeeper made an impressive outing for the Warriors at the Chan tournament, where the Warriors reached the semi-finals of the competition for the first time.
Chigova, backed by a solid defence, conceded just two goals at the competition, guiding the Warriors to a semi-final stage where they fell to eventual winners Libya after a penalty shoot-out.
Dynamos secretary-general Webster Chikengezha said he knows nothing about the deal. Team manager Richard Chihoro said the goalkeeper actually played against Buffaloes on Saturday in Mutare.
But Supersport chief executive officer Stan Matthews confirmed the deal to Kick Off.
“We are fortunate to have a great goalkeeping complement at the club in Ronwen Williams and Boalefa Pule, and with Rowen Fernandez likely to leave at the end of the season it was important for us to have fierce competition in every position, including the keepers,” he said.
“I am certain that George will push Ronwen and Boalefa all the way and I’m looking forward to seeing a record amount of clean sheets next season.”
The Zimbabwe champions resume training today after playing two friendly matches last week.
In the match against Buffaloes, they rested four key players — Tawanda Muparati, Ronald Chitiyo, Walter Mukanga and Masimba Mambare — who had played against Mochudi Centre Chiefs last Sunday and DC Academy on Thursday.
Dynamos will host the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) side AS Vita Club on Saturday at the National Sports Stadium.
The Harare giants usually play their international matches on Sundays.
Zifa said they have fixtured this match on Saturday to avoid a counter attraction with the African Women Championships qualifier match between Zimbabwe and Botswana set for Sunday at Rufaro Stadium.
Zifa have also said the Caf Confederation Cup first round match between How Mine and St Michel of Seychelles will be played on Saturday at Bulawayo’s Barbourfields Stadium.
“We did not want to have two big matches in the city on the same day for obvious reasons. We want the fans to go and support Dynamos on Saturday and then the Mighty Warriors on Sunday,” said Zifa communications manager Xolisani Gwesela yesterday.
“The How Mine-versus-St Michel match is also on Saturday. It is being played in Bulawayo so we felt it will not counter attract the one in Harare. The fans should come out in full force to support their teams. We expect to have good attendances in the three matches,” added Gwesela.
Dynamos also yesterday announced the ticket prices for the Saturday match. The cheapest ticket has been put at $3 for the rest of ground, while a seat in bays 15-18 will cost $10.
Those who wish to sit in the VIP enclosure will have to part with $20.
AS Vita’s were disrupted after their Sunday’s Premier League match against Motema Pembe, which they were using as a preparatory match was abandoned due to crowd trouble.
Reports from DRC indicate that the match was stopped on 55th minute when Pembe supporters ran amok protesting AS Vita’s goal which had been scored from a disputed free-kick. The Congolese side are currently second on the log standings in the Super Ligue Group B League.