Warriors and Kaizer Chiefs striker Knowledge Musona has left for Germany where he is due to finalise his R16 million move to Bundesliga club TSG 1899 Hoffenheim.
Chiefs team manager Bobby Motaung travelled with Musona, according to reports from South Africa, in order to seal the deal should the 21-year-old pass his medical and complete other minor logistics that come with an overseas move.
Chiefs have already agreed on a transfer fee with the German top-flight football club that has just completed its first week of pre-season training.
Musona has had his flight to Germany delayed as he was awaiting the issuing of the relevant travel documents but, with the papers sorted, his move is about to be completed.
Musona has enjoyed a successful two years at Chiefs — top-scoring in his second season — and is now a regular in the Zimbabwe senior national team for whom he scored a brace last month in the 2-1 African Nations Cup qualifier win over Mali.
With the imminent departure of Musona, Chiefs have identified Bafana Bafana striker Bernard Parker, who according to KickOff.com they have already opened talks with.
Parker is currently on the books of Dutch club FC Twente, where he is among eight strikers at the club with his chances of regular game-time rather slim.
Hoffeinhem are in Feldkirchen in Austria for their annual pre-season training camp, having arrived there last Monday with new head coach Holger Stanislawski.
They played against SV Ried, who finished 4th in the Austrian Bundesliga, on Saturday and Rapid Vienna a day later.
The Kraichgau outfit then round up their training camp exploits with a friendly against Legia Warsaw of Poland’s top flight on Friday.
Upon arriving back from Austria, SV Waldorf Mannheim will be waiting to take on Stanislawski’s charges in the Carl-Benz-Stadion in Mannheim and that could be the chance for Musona to link up with his new teammates should he sign.
Meanwhile, reigning South African Premier Soccer League champions Orlando Pirates have decided not to retain the services of Zimbabwean defender Zvenyika Makonese.
NewsDay Sport reported last week that Pirates would hand the former Shabanie Mine and Santos defender his clearance after his contract came to an end last month.
Yesterday Makonese, who joined Bucs in 2009, confirmed that he was definitely leaving the club after he was told that his services were no longer needed.
“I’m leaving. They told me that they will give me my clearance, but I don’t know when it might be, tomorrow (today) or Wednesday (tomorrow).”
“At the moment I don’t know where I’m going; I will only wait until they give me my clearance then I will see where to go.”
The central defender has not featured in any of Pirates’ league matches this past season, as he only played in the MTN8 Cup against Santos at Orlando Stadium, which they won 2-1.
Since then he was sent to train with the development side, and with Bucs bringing in the experienced Siyabonga Sangweni, and with the return of Lucas Thwala from injury, they have decided not to renew Zvenyika’s contract.