Bulawayo Chiefs in dramatic win

Triangle coach Taurai Mangwiro

By Sindiso Dube


TRIANGLE FC……………………0

REFEREE Prince Mathumo needed police escort to leave Luveve  Stadium with  Triangle players and officials baying for his head for a denied penalty call in the dying minutes of a Castle Lager Premier Soccer League  match against Bulawayo Chiefs yesterday.

Chiefs came out victors in their league opener under controversial circumstances, but no one could deny them their time in the sun.

Both teams played a dull first half as there were no clear-cut chances. However, the match became livelier  in the second stanza.

Chiefs bagged maximum points from a Billy Veremu superb goal after being set up by Farau Matare on the 77th minute.

In the last minutes of the match, a pressing Triangle  were denied a clear penalty after veteran striker  Ralph Matema was pulled down in the box, but Mathumo would have none of it.

Triangle coach Taurai Mangwiro said the referee’s decision was unfair, adding that they deserved at least a point.

“Referees  are better placed to make decisions. We can’t comment on that (penalty), the assistant referee had signalled for a penalty, but the referee  decided it was a corner kick. How it became a corner kick yet we were the last ones to touch the ball, I don’t know. However, we respect the referee’s  decision,” Mangwiro said.

Bulawayo Chiefs coach Nilton Terreso refused to comment on the incident.

“My back was slightly turned as we were about to make a substitution. I was very far away and I don’t know what happened. I understand their disappointment  and frustration,” he said.


Bulawayo Chiefs

D Bizabani, B Nyahuzwi, M Gasela (L Ndlela 46’), H Chikosa (D Jaricha 88’), M Mkolo, J Nyabinde, M Msebe, T Veremu, F Moyo, E Chikwende, F Matare

Triangle FC

T Mawaya, J Mukombwe, M Ngwenya, K Gwao, A Chiveyo (L Mangayira 63’) D Mudadi, R Madamombe, G Bero, K Mujaya (R Matema 58’), C Dhuwa, D Murimba (B Chikwenya 80’)

  • Follow us on Twitter @NewsDayZimbabwe