Bangalore — During the World Cup in 1983 in England, Zimbabwe had announced their arrival on the world stage, big time, by beating Australia.
Things have not exactly gone well for them of late. It could get worse.
As if their failure to qualify for this year’s edition wasn’t enough and despite the qualifier being held in their country last year, Zimbabwe cricket faces international suspension.
The action is expected to be announced by the International Cricket Council (ICC) during its annual conference later this week.
Bangalore Mirror has learnt that the action by the government-controlled Sports and Recreation Commission (SRC), which suspended Zimbabwe Cricket (ZC), is against the rules of the
ICC which, fundamentally, is against any government interference.
A government Press release said last week that it is also suspending ZC acting managing director Givemore Makoni.
The government move, understandably, came following complaints of irregularities in the nomination process and the violation of ZC’s constitution.
“From a national perspective it is the SRC that authorises the award and wearing of all national colours, the undertaking of any tours within and without Zimbabwe, in respect of the
discipline falling under its jurisdiction,” the SRC said in a release.
The ICC officials, in direct knowledge of the development, said the Zimbabwe matter is the main agenda for the annual conference which will be held in London immediately after the final
of the World Cup on July 14.
Zimbabwe were relegated long back to the second tier of the Test championship having to compete with the likes of Ireland and Afghanistan. The ICC action leaves an element of
uncertainty in Zimbabwe’s future tour programme.
They are currently touring Ireland and are also slated to come to India in January next year. Before that they also have bilateral series against Afghanistan and West Indies.