ZIMBABWE continues to suffer an awards crisis particularly in the arts sector.
Just yesterday Zimbabwe woke up to the news that the Zimbabwe Music Awards (Zima) that were scheduled in for tomorrow had been moved to October 29.
This was a comeback bit after years of absence that saw the ill-funded National Arts Merit Awards being the main awards.
Lack of funding has made sure the national awards lacked the glamour that goes with awards ceremonies.
The Zim dancehall awards also came on board recently, but they too appear to be a far cry from what really needs to be done.
“This move has been necessitated by some logistical challenges which have resulted in delays in the show production,” read the Zima statement.
“At a meeting held earlier today (yesterday), the Zima organising committee decided that in order to deliver the world class event that we have promised to our artists and to the public in general it was important for us to move the event to allow us enough time to prepare fully.
“From the beginning we said Zima would put together an event of international standards and we will not compromise on that guarantee.”
The statement said nominees have been briefed and they appreciate the position.
“At this time (sic), we would like to express our most sincere apologies to the artists, performers and all stakeholders for any inconvenience resulting from this postponement.
“In closing, may we, once again, assure everybody that Zima 2014 will take place and it will be the entertainment event of the year.”
However, information reaching NewsDay yesterday indicated that the organisers were still awaiting funding from the organisation that has promised them funding.
But Caroline Nyadzayo, the general manager of the refuted the allegations and said the statement was the official position.
“The statement is what it is. The details of that (the postponement) are privy to the team that is organising the event,” she said.
“It is a good thing that we have no cancelled the event but postponed to a later date.
“The statement is final.”
Interestingly, the awards if they are to take off, will coincide with the first edition of the Wene Music awards, if they too take off.
Rooftop Promotions launched the awards in March this year but have gone into hibernation since.
Yesterday Rooftop Promotions boss Daves Guzha said they would issue a statement on their awards.
“We are aware of what need s to be done. We are meeting with the board on Saturday and we should have a statement on Tuesday,” said Guzha.
“We will respond to everything in that statement. Basically we do not want to appear as if we are fighting with Zima that is why we are cautious in our approach.”