OPPOSITION leader Morgan Tsvangirai is yet to deliver on his promise to the Tokwe Mukosi flood victims in Chingwizi while President Robert Mugabe is under fire for his failure to address the humanitarian crisis.
Tsvangirai sourced for donations in April and claimed he was barred by Masvingo Provincial minister Kudakwashe Bhasikiti from entering the transit camp and went quiet from then.
Tsvangirai’s spokesperson Luke Tamborinyoka on Thursday said the goods sourced by the MDC-T leader were still available and would be taken to the camp soon.
Tamborinyoka, however, said it was the government and not Tsvangirai’s responsibility to address the plight of the people in Chingwizi.
“All I can tell you is we will go to Masvingo and own on our pledge,” Tamborinyoka said.
“He [Tsvangirai] is concerned by the plight of the people and he will meet his pledge, but it’s government responsibility, especially after they won resoundingly during the last elections.”
Tsvangirai was supposed to go to the transit camp in April at the height of the humanitarian crisis that has seen close to
3 000 villagers living under deplorable conditions as a result of the floods that rocked the province last year.
He said he had been blocked by Bhasikiti, who then disputed the claim, accusing the former Premier of politicking on the matter.
Observers yesterday also lambasted Zanu PF leader Mugabe for his silence over the developments in Chingwizi that turned violent last week with police vehicles being burnt by angry villagers.
At least 29 people were arrested following the clashes.
The MDC Renewal Team accused the government of neglecting the villagers and blamed Zanu PF for a lack of vision in averting such disasters.
The Zimbabwe Peace Project also said the Zanu PF government should immediately commission a “full and independent investigation on the situation at Chingwizi”.