Environment awareness campaigner targets the next generation

Environmental activist and award winning innovation entrepreneur, Verengai Mabika, says programs such as the Washington Fellowship generate the confidence youth need to attain greater heights.

Verengai Mabika

Verengai Mabika

“It turns theory into practice and that’s what we need to deal with the complex challenges facing Africa in the 21st century.”

Verengai is one of the 30 young Zimbabweans selected to participate in President Obama’s 2014 Washington Fellowship for Young African Leaders (YALI). He wants to use the opportunity to sharpen his skills to develop Zimbabwe’s capacity to maximize Africa’s untapped opportunities.

“My dream is to help create the next breed of social entrepreneurs, who are conscious of the natural environment and can effectively tackle climate change,” he says.

During the Fellowship, Verengai will complete six weeks of academic coursework in business and entrepreneurship at the University of Texas at Austin.

An Ashoka Global Fellow and member of the BMW Foundation Young Leaders Forum, Verengai is a young leader in climate change, social innovation and sustainable development, with a keen interest in empowering youth. In 2009, he founded the Development Reality Institute (DRI) which manages the first Climate Change Virtual School in Africa. The school has an annual enrollment of about 2,000 students from 30 countries across Africa.

DRI’s mission is to build our ability to deal with the effects of climate change; this is achieved through capacity strengthening, policy analysis, knowledge management and program interventions using cutting edge information and communications technology (ICT) solutions.

Says Verengai: “Upon my return, I plan to expand my program, the Climate Change Virtual School in Africa and across Zimbabwe. I hope to reach 10,000 participants per month and to expand the social innovation fund for exceptional new ideas to US $1 million each year. I am very much interested in working with more Zimbabwean schools, especially in hard to reach communities.”

Verengai holds a Master’s degree in Philosophy (Social Development) and pursued undergraduate studies in Rural and Urban Planning as well as Water and Sanitation. He holds several prominent positions in professional organizations and leads both the Internet Society (Zimbabwe Chapter) and the Zimbabwe Institute of Regional and Urban Planners (ZIRUP).

He also sits on the technical advisory board of the Zimbabwe National Network for People Living with HIV and AIDS and is a member of the Zimbabwe National Manpower Advisory Council advisory board.

10 Responses to Environment awareness campaigner targets the next generation

1. Plienizen May 23, 2014 at 12:49 pm #

Google is paying 75$ per hour! Just work for few hours & spend more time with friends and family. On Sunday I bought themselves a Alfa Romeo from having made $5637 this month. Useful site……

===================
    ===================

• MarjorieCKerr May 23, 2014 at 7:47 pm #

Star­­­­t m­­­­aking cash right now… G­­­­et more t­­­­ime with you­­­­r family by do­­­­ing jobs that only require for you to have a c­­­­omputer and an internet access and you can have th­­­­at at your home. Start bringin­­­­g up to $8012 a mont­­­­h. I’ve started this job and I­­­­’ve never been­­­­ happ­­­­ier and now I am sharing it wit­­­­h you, so you can try it too. You can check it out here………..

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> http://www.ZeeJob.com
      ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞­۩ஜ
      GO TO THE SITE AND CLICK NEXT TAB FOR MORE INFO AND HELP

2. joe May 23, 2014 at 3:18 pm #

this is good Mabika, thats the way to go, keep up the good work

• Ziyon May 23, 2014 at 3:37 pm #

Our product Go man

3. Binala May 23, 2014 at 4:53 pm #

Well done Mabika, you are doing us proud.

4. kumbirai May 24, 2014 at 4:53 am #

I am proud of you brother .Thanks for the good work you are doing .

5. Blake Keith May 24, 2014 at 10:03 am #

Star­­­­t m­­­­aking cash right now… G­­­­et more t­­­­ime with you­­­­r family by do­­­­ing jobs that only require for you to have a c­­­­omputer and an internet access and you can have th­­­­at at your home. Start bringin­­­­g up to $8012 a mont­­­­h. I’ve started this job and I­­­­’ve never been­­­­ happ­­­­ier and now I am sharing it wit­­­­h you, so you can try it too.for more work detail go tech tab… You can check it out here………..

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> http://www.JOBSsun.com

6. Haverping May 24, 2014 at 10:35 am #

**************************************************************
    my neighbor’s half-sister makes $78 hourly on the laptop . She has been out of work for 6 months but last month her income was $18921 just working on the laptop for a few hours. see post……………………………………. W­­W­W.W­o­r­­k­72.C­O­M

7. sandra May 24, 2014 at 10:44 am #

you have done us proud Mr Mabika………….wow

8. merry m jhon May 25, 2014 at 5:24 am #

Start working at home with Google! It’s by-far the best job I’ve had. Last Wednesday I got a brand new BMW since getting a check for $6474 this – 4 weeks past. I began this 8-months ago and immediately was bringing home at least $77 per hour. I work through this link, go to tech tab for work detail…….

>>>>>>>>>>> http://www.JOBSsun.com

© 2017 NewsDay Zimbabwe. All Rights Reserved.