HomeLocal NewsBriefs:‘ZBC chefs get hefty allowances’

Briefs:‘ZBC chefs get hefty allowances’

-

DISGRUNTLED workers at the State broadcaster, ZBC, have accused management of awarding themselves hefty entertainment allowances using money drawn from listeners’ and viewers’ licence fees while the majority of workers wallow in poverty.

Report by Wonai Masvingise

These disgruntlements come at a time the majority of the employees have gone without salaries for the past two months.

ZBC staffers who refused to be named for fear of victimisation told NewsDay they were wallowing in poverty.

“All of us were not paid last month (April), but what surprises us is that every Friday the chief executive officer gets $2 000 in entertainment allowance, general managers are getting $1 500 and heads of departments get $1 000 while other managers are getting $500,” one of the workers said.

However, ZBC spokesperson Sivukile Simango dismissed the claims as “untrue”.

“I am a manager myself and I have not received any money on Fridays. It is utter hogwash. I wish we could have those facilities so that I can enjoy myself every weekend. Where will the money come from?” Simango queried.

Zanu PF aspiring candidate dies in accident

KWEKWE — Zanu PF Midlands provincial executive has requested that provincial committee member Maxwell Madharani, who died in a horrific car accident on Wednesday, be declared a liberation war hero.

Madharani died after his car allegedly hit a wild animal after attending a party meeting in Zhombe. Zanu PF provincial youth chairperson Edmore Samambwa, who was in the same vehicle, is reportedly battling for his life at a private hospital in Kwekwe.

“The province and Zanu PF at large deeply regret the sudden and tragic loss of life of its provincial member Madharani while he was coming from a party programme in Zhombe to mobilise voters. He was a dedicated cadre and committed to peace and unity in the part,” provincial vice-chairman Larry Mavhima said.

Madharani was reportedly eyeing the Kwekwe Central parliamentary seat.

However, Midlands provincial police spokesperson Inspector Emmanuel Mahoko said he was unaware of the accident.

Court turns down PM officials’ application

HARARE magistrate Tendai Mabwe yesterday turned down an application by four officials from Prime Minister Morgan Tsvangirai’s office accused of breaching the Official Secrets Act to get back documents confiscated from their offices by the police so that they could prepare their defence outline.

Report by Phillip Chidavaenzi

Mahwe said the request made by Thabani Mpofu, Mehluli Tshuma, Felix Matsinde and Warship Dumba was unreasonable as it would interfere with police investigations.

“To order their (documents) release would be tantamount to stopping the police from their investigations. I find it unreasonable to demand what the State will use against them and to order their release would be tantamount to interfering with investigations of cases that are not yet before this court,” he said. He said the issue of the documents was now “a closed chapter” and postponed the matter to June 4.

Through their lawyer, Alec Muchadehama, the accused had sought to have more time granted by the court as well as the confiscated documents to prepare their defence.

The accused were arrested on March 17 and are currently on $100 bail each. Allegations against them arose when detectives received information that they were in possession of dockets privately compiled allegedly to discredit the judicial system.

Recent Posts

Stories you will enjoy

Recommended reading