THE MI CASA show that was scheduled for Harare last night had to be cancelled at the last minute yesterday.
Confusion marred the run-up to the gig as the group posted on their official Twitter account in the morning that they were not travelling to Harare because the promoter had not met their contractual obligations.
“To all our fans in Zimbabwe, unfortunately, the promoter has not paid us and we are unable to be with you! Please go and claim your refund!” they tweeted in the morning blaming the promoter.
Throughout the day conflicting statements had been posted on various platforms as the public speculated.
Mi Casa’s record label Soul Candi Records posted a statement on Facebook confirming that the show had indeed been cancelled.
“Soul Candi management regretfully wishes to inform all Mi Casa fans in Zimbabwe that their performance tonight in Harare will not take place due to the promoter not meeting his contractual obligations,” read the statement.
“We are extremely disappointed and assure you that Mi Casa and Soul Candi has done everything in their power to prevent this from happening.”
Efforts to get a comment from the promoter Max Mugaba of May 7 Entertainment were fruitless as his phone was not available.
Someone who answered the number on the posters said the show had been postponed to a later date.
Mi Casa’s tour manager Tenny T said the band was disappointed that they had failed to travel.
“We have worked with Max on a number of gigs and he is a good guy, but this time around I do not know what went wrong,” Tenny T said. “A lot of stuff was not right including booking of the wrong flights and I hope we will work something out in the near future.”
This is the second time Mugaba has failed to deliver after failing to bring in P Square last year.
It is also not the first time that local promoters have failed to honour obligations, blundering on Beres Hammond, Mary J Blige, to name a few artistes, in recent months.