×
NewsDay

AMH is an independent media house free from political ties or outside influence. We have four newspapers: The Zimbabwe Independent, a business weekly published every Friday, The Standard, a weekly published every Sunday, and Southern and NewsDay, our daily newspapers. Each has an online edition.

  • Marketing
  • Digital Marketing Manager: tmutambara@alphamedia.co.zw
  • Tel: (04) 771722/3
  • Online Advertising
  • Digital@alphamedia.co.zw
  • Web Development
  • jmanyenyere@alphamedia.co.zw

Zifa sends budget to Fifa

Sport
ZIFA will send its budget to Fifa this week after applying a raft of austerity measures to cut its costs to entice the world football governing body on a proposed $2 million grant the Cuthbert Dube-led association applied for.

ZIFA will send its budget to Fifa this week after applying a raft of austerity measures to cut its costs to entice the world football governing body on a proposed $2 million grant the Cuthbert Dube-led association applied for.

REPORT BY KEVIN MAPASURE

Among some of the costs cutting measures Zifa has cancelled sitting allowances for its board members and councilors. But Zifa has promised to use Fifa grants to finance its affiliates to aid football development.

Dube said his board had resolved to make 2013 a year of reconstruction after three years of a cleanup.

“At our board meeting last week we resolved to make 2013 a year of reconstruction, we want to develop football,” said Dube. “We spent the last three years embroiled in the Asiagate scandal at the expense of developing football. The board also approved a decision to cancel sitting allowances for its members. We do not want people who come to meetings for money and contribute nothing.”

Dube attended an awards ceremony of the Eastern Region Division two in Marondera at the weekend and promised to visit more provinces to see how best the mother body can help with football development at grassroots.

Zifa seeks to start on a fresh page and that has been aided by the adoption of the mother body’s $4 million debt by the Zimbabwe football Trust which will be launched next week.

In its budget that will be sent to Fifa this week Zifa has omitted the Warriors activities which after minister of Mines Obert Mpofu pledged to source funding for the senior national team.

“We will be sending our budget to Fifa this week, we are starting on a fresh page and we are confident of getting their support. The Trust is made up of eminent people and they have already agreed to adopt our debt so that we start afresh.”

Meanwhile, Dube also revealed that Zifa will also start on the appeals process for the Asiagate scandal next week.

“As for the appeals we have got the transcripts now, so we will be meeting the appeals committee so that the appeals process can start for those that have paid.”

Among those that are eagerly waiting for the commencement of appeals is Caps United coach Taurai Mangwiro who was handed a ten year ban while Shabanie gaffer Luke Masomere is also appealing his ban.

Their respective clubs will be following proceedings with keen interest ahead of the commencement of the 2013 season next month.