Garanganga through, Fynn out


TOP seed Takanyi Garanganga recovered from a sluggish start to book his place in the Twenty Third Century Systems ITF Futures semi-finals with a victory over Lukas Marsoun from the Czech Republic at Harare Sports Club yesterday.


Garanganga looked to be in some trouble when Marsoun, who started brightly, grabbed the early initiative by breaking his opponent’s first game on his way to winning the first set 6-4.

With the odds staked against him launching a fight-back, Garanganga refused to give in as he bounced back to claim a 4-6, 6-0, 7-6 (5) victory.

An elated Garanganga said: “It was a tough match. But it’s not the first time I’ve had a match like this. I’m glad I managed to come through. I managed to work on some technical errors I made early on and I’m just glad I’m through to the semi-finals.”

The third-seeded South African Ruan Roelofse now stands between Garanganga and a place in tomorrow’s final after he comfortably won his quarter-final match against Italian Marfia 6-1, 6-1.

Garanganga, who was backed by a vocal home crowd, used his booming serve to great effect, as he overcame early pressure against the temperamental Marsoun, who certainly gave him a run for his money with his array of shots.

The 22-year-old United States-based star was unstoppable in the second set, winning six straight games.

The decider proved to be a cagey affair as both players upped their game, but Garanganga had enough in the tank to claim a hard-fought win after a tie breaker.

Any hopes of an all-Zimbabwean final were ended yesterday after Mark Fynn’s brilliant run in this tournament was brought to an end with a 7-6 (5), 6-2 quarterfinal loss to South African Keith Crowley.

Fynn, who knocked out one of the pre-tournament favourites in the first round, struggled for most of the match with a back strain.

Crowley will today take on American Evan Song, who was clinical in his 6-1, 6-2 thumping win over the fourth seeded Emanuele Molina from Italy.