AMH is an independent media house free from political ties or outside influence. We have four newspapers: The Zimbabwe Independent, a business weekly published every Friday, The Standard, a weekly published every Sunday, and Southern and NewsDay, our daily newspapers. Each has an online edition.

  • Marketing
  • Digital Marketing Manager: tmutambara@alphamedia.co.zw
  • Tel: (04) 771722/3
  • Online Advertising
  • Digital@alphamedia.co.zw
  • Web Development
  • jmanyenyere@alphamedia.co.zw

Hardbody relegation woes continue

HARDBODY’S relegation woes mounted when they dropped two crucial points at home after being held to a one all draw by Shabanie Mine

Hardbody . . . . . . . (0) 1 Shabanie Mine . . .(1) 1 HARDBODY’S relegation woes mounted when they dropped two crucial points at home after being held to a one all draw by Shabanie Mine in a balanced Castle Lager Premier Soccer League match played at Ascot Stadium yesterday. REPORT BY EPHRAIM SHOKO SPORTS CORRESPONDENT

The Gweru side needed a 55th minute strike by substitute Nhlanhla Ncube to rescue a point from the match after Shabanie Mine had drawn first blood in the 39th minute, courtesy of the league’s leading goalscorer Nelson Mazivisa.

Mazivisa consequently took his goal tally to 17 and with four games to go before the season ends, he looks set to clinch the golden boot award.

The hosts almost scored as early as the first minute when they won a free kick at the edge of the box.

Jacob Muzokomba’s blistering effort was fumbled by Shabanie Mine goalkeeper Roy Mazingi and the ball somehow found its way out for a corner.

It was, however, Shabanie Mine, looking more comfortable on the ball than the visitors, who opened the score in the 39th minute through Mazivisa.

Mazivisa was set up by Raymond Sibanda who had won possession in the centre circle.

Sibanda threaded a long pass to Mazivisa, who outmuscled his marker before chipping past Ashley Rayners, whose slight touch of the ball only helped it into his own net.

After the score, Shabanie Mine controlled proceedings in the first half, but failed to capitalise on their dominance and went to the breather seating on a one goal advantage.

Just before the break, Hardbody coach Godfrey Tamirepi had made a change in the 42nd minute, pulling out Owen Motsi for Nhlanhla Ncube to increase his attacking options and the move paid up in the second half when Ncube delivered the equaliser The tactical changes paid off in the 55th minute when Hardbody captain Brian Juru won possession in midfield before spotting Ncube who was wide on the right.

Ncube made a run beating for dead Boniface Dimanji and Smart Muchabaiwa before rounding Mazingi to tap into an empty net.