A 13-year-old Buhera girl was burnt beyond recognition last Friday after the bedroom hut she was sleeping in caught fire from a candle she had accidentally left burning before retiring to bed.
Police in Manicaland told NewsDay yesterday that Blessing Pfupi (13) of Pfupi village went to sleep in her bedroom hut and left a candle burning.
She reportedly fell asleep and forgot to put out the burning candle which went on to ignite other items in the hut and subsequently the roof.
“When she saw that the house had caught fire, Blessing screamed and called her mother for help.
“Her mother and other family members tried to put out the fire and rescue her, but their efforts were in vain.
“They called for help from other villagers, but unfortunately it was too late as the roof collapsed and burnt the minor to ashes,” Manicaland police spokesperson Inspector Enock Chishiri said.