GWERU — The trial of Prime Minister Morgan Tsvangirai’s chief of staff Abisha Nyanguwo, who is facing charges of bombing the Zanu PF provincial offices in Gweru, was yesterday deferred for the second time to next month.
Nyanguwo (45) was arrested in March after his car was allegedly linked to the bombing incident, which allegedly took place last December.
Gweru magistrate Florence Nago said Nyanguwo’s new trial date was now July 11.
Prior to his arrest, police had stormed Nyanguwo’s home in Harare and confiscated his Isuzu truck, claiming it had been spotted at the scene of the bombing.
But the MDC-T official, who is out of remand on $500 bail, denied the charge.
Among his other bail conditions, Nyanguwo was ordered not to interfere with State witnesses, to reside at his given Harare address and surrender all travel documents.
The State alleges that on December 27 2011 at around 11:30pm, Nyanguwo drove to Zanu PF offices in Gweru where he planted two explosives, ignited them and sped away before they detonated.
The explosives damaged property worth $900.
Soon after the alleged bombing, police pounced on three MDC-T youths accusing them of involvement in the act. The three were later acquitted for lack of evidence.
A state witness identified as Archford Tumbare told the court he witnessed the incident but kept information to himself for fear of reprisals. Tumbare only reported the matter to police on March 19 through an affidavit.