HomeSportSoccerChicken Inn hold Highlanders

Chicken Inn hold Highlanders


Highlanders . . . . . . . 0
Chicken Inn . . . . . . . 0

Chicken Inn put up a sterling performance in a Castle Lager Premier Soccer League match holding Highlanders to a goalless draw at Barbourfields Stadium yesterday.

It was the second draw for Highlanders with the first being against Buffaloes in Mutare. It was also the first game where the former champions did not score and their first draw at home.

However, Highlanders are still top of the log table with 23 points in nine games five ahead of second placed FC Platinum, who beat Quelaton 2-0 on Saturday and Shabanie Mine who dispatched Hwange 4-1 at the Colliery.

Highlanders coach Kelvin Kaindu was not happy with the result.

It was a derby and it was a good game but we failed to convert the chances we had. It is unfortunate because our scoring has been tremendous, he said.

Chicken Inn coach Adam Ndlovu was also not pleased with the result despite managing to salvage a point away from home.

I am not happy that we missed so many chances. We should have won the game. We were able to hold Highlanders because we know their type of play and we came up with a strategy so that we could contain them. We played well but we could not convert our chances, he said.

Chicken Inn had the upper hand in the first few minutes with Thomas Chimenya missing a glorious opportunity after seven minutes from a Tendai Ndoro cross.

Highlanders could have opened the scoresheet in the 21st minute after Felix Chindungwe brought down Mthulisi Maphosa. The resultant free kick taken by Maphosa did not yield any result.

Kudakwashe Mahachi watched in disbelief as his curling shot from a corner kick was tipped over the bar by Highlanders goalkeeper Ariel Sibanda.

Peter Moyo missed another opportunity for Highlanders after being set up by Masimba Mambare after Knox Mutizwa cleanly beat Chicken Inn defender Moses Jackson in the 35th minute.

Marshal Marime headed over the bar from a Chimenya cross with five minutes to go before the breather as Chicken Inn continued to dominate and could have been one up in the 44th minute but Ndoros effort went over the bar.

Danny Phiri almost beat his own goalkeeper Njabulo Nyoni in the 54th minute after a miskick while trying to clear but Nyoni was alert.

Nyoni had a good game and saved Graham Ncubes shot after Brian Mbiriri had failed to clear the ball which had been brought in by Milton Ncube. Chindungwe appeared to have handled in the box after 72 minutes but referee Bekezela Makeka from Victoria Falls waved play on as chances began to wane in the second half.

The match was delayed for seven minutes as Chicken Inn arrived late at the match venue.

Recent Posts

Stories you will enjoy

Recommended reading