Labour and Social Welfare minister Paurina Mpariwa has been implicated in an assault case where a Highfield man is being charged after he allegedly attacked a 70-year-old Chitungwiza man.
The incident allegedly took place on April 20 at Compensation House where Mpariwa’s office is located.
The accused, Mungota Dzviti (52), allegedly assaulted Lovemore Sekeso (70) who had visited the premises with the intention of solving his 24-year labour dispute with the ministry after Mpariwa instructed Dzviti not to allow Sekeso into her office.
In his defence on Tuesday, Dzviti claimed he had been given an order by the minister to bar Sekeso from entering the premises.
“The complainant had shouted at the minister and the ministry staff using vulgar language and I was instructed by the minister to chase him away from the premises,” Dzviti said.
The court heard that Dzviti informed Sekeso that Mpariwa had gone out but the latter insisted on waiting for her.
Contrary to Dzviti’s defence, Sekeso, who is epileptic and the complainant in the matter, told the court that Dzviti knew he had an appointment with Mpariwa to resolve the labour issue but he instead proceeded to assault him.
“He handcuffed me, pushed me before letting me roll down the stairs,” Sekeso said.
The court heard that Dzviti allegedly assaulted Sekeso twice with open hands and pushed him down the stairs, resulting in him sustaining serious injuries.
He was reportedly treated at Chitungwiza Central Hospital.
Harare magistrate Barbra Masinire remanded Dzviti out of custody to June 26 and ordered that the doctor who examined Sekeso should testify over his condition.
Francisca Mukumbiri prosecuted.