HomeLocal NewsBail hearing reserved for 29 MDC-T activists

Bail hearing reserved for 29 MDC-T activists


The battle for freedom by 29 incarcerated MDC-T activists is far from over after judgment in their bail application was yesterday reserved and the matter postponed indefinitely by High Court judge Justice Chinembiri Bhunu.

When the court adjourned, MDC-T Youth Assembly chairperson Solomon Madzore and his colleagues saluted party organising secretary and Information Communication Technology minister Nelson Chamisa and spokesperson Douglas Mwonzora.

We appreciate your efforts, let the struggle continue. We salute you, Madzore said as he bowed showing respect while being led into the cells by prison officers. Outside the court building was a heavy presence of riot police.

The activists, being charged over the death of Police Inspector Petros Mutedza in Glen View, Harare, last year, have now been in custody for two weeks following their indictment for trial at the High Court.

The trial which was set to proceed last week on Monday failed to open after defence lawyer Charles Kwaramba made an application for its postponement saying he wanted to seek release of his clients so that they could stand trial while out of custody.

Kwarambas efforts were thwarted by the Attorney-Generals Office representative, Edmore Nyazamba, who opposed bail.

Justice Bhunu announced, after Kwaramba completed making submission, the bail application judgment would not be delivered any time soon and remanded the matter indefinitely.

During the presentations, Kwaramba urged the court to consider his clients were suitable candidates for bail given that they never attempted to skip the jurisdiction of the courts while on bail at the magistrate courts.

Kwaramba said Madzore, who has been behind bars for over five months, was nowhere near the scene when Mutedza was allegedly stoned to death.

He said Madzore had taken his sick wife to a doctor and the police were reluctant to investigate his defence.

According to the States allegations, on May 29 last year over 50 MDC-T activists convened an unsanctioned meeting at Glen View 1 shopping centre which was later called off by the police.

It is alleged Mutedza approached youth leader Robert Manyengavana and Paul Gorekore asking them to disperse peacefully but the youths allegedly turned violent and attacked the police.

Mutedza and his team are said to have retreated and fled the scene as the alleged activists pursued them throwing missiles.

The State alleges Mutedza was struck with a half brick and died on admission to hospital.

Recent Posts

Stories you will enjoy

Recommended reading