Chipinge Two children were burnt beyond recognition last Friday after their bedroom hut was struck by lightning in Chipinge.
The minors mother Rudo Muhluri was badly burnt in the ensuing inferno and was reportedly battling for life at Mt Selinda Hospital.
Police confirmed the incident which occurred in Mapoya Village and identified the victims as Charity (1) and Chipo (2).
Manicaland assistant police spokesperson Sergeant Muzondiwa Clean said the three were inside their house when lightning struck.
It started raining around 2am in the morning and their bedroom hut was struck by a lightning bolt.
Rudo was thrown outside the hut and she was seriously burnt. Her daughters remained inside the hut and were burnt beyond recognition, said Clean.
Muhluris grandmother Evelyn Dunguny (53), who was sleeping in another hut, was awoken by the inferno and alerted other villagers, but they could not save the minors.