DeMbare coach hunt begins

0
491

Dynamos executive will move a step closer towards appointing a substantive coach for the 2012 season when they advertise the vacant post in the Press starting tomorrow.

Club chairman Kenny Mubaiwa said applications will open until Friday next week after which the club starts the process of perusing the applications.

“We have resolved to speed up the process so that we make up for time lost during the contract renewal negotiations with Calisto Pasuwa which unfortunately did not end well.

“We hope to have concluded the process by the second week of January when the club’s preparations for the new season are scheduled to begin with a camp outside Harare,” said Mubaiwa.

Pasuwa, whose contract with DeMbare is expected to expire on Saturday, has made it clear he will apply for the post.

Although his chances look increasingly slim considering his strained relationship with the club’s executive, the championship winning gaffer remains a firm favourite with the club’s fans.

The fact that the Dynamos executive also attempted to lure back Sunday Chidzambwa from Absa Premiership side Black Leopards, are further testament Pasuwa has become increasingly isolated.

Nomadic Zambian coach Keegan Mumba, who had been linked with a move back to DeMbare way before contract negotiations between DeMbare and Pasuwa started, has since emerged as a firm favourite to land the job should he decide to apply for it.

Mumba, however, has insisted he will only apply for the job after being given the go-ahead by Football Association of Zambia president Kalusha Bwalya, who appointed him as the national Under-20 team coach in that country.

Meanwhile, Mubaiwa said Dynamos were still waiting to hear from Mamelodi Sundowns after the South African side invited them to a four-team football tournament in Polokwane on January 28.

The tournament, which will be bankrolled by South African business mogul and Sundowns owner Patrice Motsepe, will also feature Caps United, Mamelodi Sundowns and Black Leopards.

Mubaiwa said because of the huge costs which will be incurred in fulfilling the assignment, they would only accept the invitation if the hosts promise to cover most of the costs.

“We have communicated to the organisers of the tournament, thanking them for the invitation, but we also told them that we might not be able to raise enough funds to cover transport, accommodation and food costs. We are also yet to know about the appearance fee for the teams, for the players and prize money for the tournament. Remember we also have the Champions League to prepare for and we need to take into consideration all issues,” he said.

Mubaiwa said should they fail to reach terms with the tournament organisers, they would take up an offer by the Zimbabwe Tourism Authority, who promised to organise a friendly match against South Africa side Kaizer Chiefs.

“Zimbabwe Tourism Authority chief executive Karikoga Kaseke has said they are willing to organise a friendly match for us against Kaizer Chiefs where all proceeds will go towards our Champions League campaign,” said Mubaiwa.

Dynamos, who got a preliminary round bye, will meet the winner of the match between Mafunzo of Zanzibar and Mozambican side Muculmano de Maputo in the first round.