Nash challenges Premiership coaches

0
422

The National Association of School Heads (Nash) vice-president Arthur Maphosa has called on Castle Lager Premier Soccer (PSL) League coaches to be part of the Boys Under-20 football championships which kick off at Kwekwe High School on Friday.

Maphosa said the tournament is of high standard and coaches are being afforded a rare opportunity to identify talent at an early stage.

“We would like to encourage scouts and PSL football coaches to come and watch the boys in action as they could identify good players from the tournament. It is our mandate as Nash to expose players in such tournaments,” he said.

“The tournament is important because it has previously produced top players like former Warriors striker Peter Ndlovu, Alois Bunjira and the late Benjamin Nkonjera.

“We also have seen players like Mamelodi Sundowns and former Caps United striker Simba Sithole coming out from this tournament,” he said.

The tournament would start today with the vetting of players to ensure that they are strictly Under-20. This is meant to avoid age cheating.

Bulawayo Province will be pinning their hopes on former champions Mzilikazi High School who have in the past produced football greats.

The participating schools are Mzilikazi (Bulawayo), Gebhuza (Matabeleland North), Gwanda (Matabeleland South), Pamushana (Masvingo), Howard (Mashonaland Central), Gaza (Manicaland), Nemakonde (Mashonaland West), Chirumhanzu(Mashonaland East), Leopold Takawira (Midlands) and Glen Norah 2 (Harare).

Defending champions Chipadze from Mashonaland Central and hosts Kwekwe are among the participating teams.