Red-hot Caps hit five again


Caps United . . . . . . . . (2) 5
Shooting Stars . . . . . . (0) 2

High-flying Caps United bagged five goals for the second consecutive match as they put hapless Shooting Stars to the sword in a Castle Lager Premiership match at Rufaro on Sunday to shoot to the top of the log standings.

Sources last night said Stars coach Gishon Ntini’s job was on the line after their second successive loss although club president Joel Sengerendo said they would only meet this afternoon for a technical review.

This was Caps United’s second win in two matches after they hit another five goals against Zimbabwe Saints at the same venue last weekend and they have now bagged 10 goals in two matches.

In-form midfielder Pride Tafirenyika scored a second-half brace in a space of five minutes, in the 60th and 65th minute to add to earlier goals by Simba Sithole, David Rediyoni and Evans Gwekwerere.

Shooting Stars found their consolation goals through substitute Silas Chihota in the 71st minute and Sam Gahadzikwa eight minutes before full time.

In an interview after the match, Caps coach Moses Chunga said they would not be getting carried away by the good start and warned that the league was still in its infancy.

“This is a good result for us but it’s still early days and we could have done better in this match. As for the defence, I’m not worried at all because as long as our goal difference is in the positive I’ll be satisfied,” said Chunga.

His opposite number Gishon Ntini blamed the referee for his team’s defeat: “The referee was the man-of-the-match as far as I see it. The second goal was an obvious offside because the goalkeeper did not have contact with the ball and I think that was the turning point in the game,” said Ntini.

Sithole showed his predatory instincts when he broke loose from his marker to slide home Edmore Sibanda’s deflected long-range free-kick.

Former Gunners player Rediyoni added the second goal in added time of the second half after some fine work on the right by impressive Gwekwerere.

Gwekwerere, who was full of running for the entire match, nodded home the third goal two minutes into the second half from a cross by Tafirenyika.

Tafirenyika then tapped home from close range after a spill by the keeper before completing his brace five minutes later, finishing off yet another Sibanda-deflected free-kick from just outside the box to take his tally to three goals in two matches.

In one of Caps’ lapses in concentration, substitute Chihota grabbed his team’s first consolation after 71 minutes before Gadzikwa chested the second home from a cross by James Mutereki.