Bosso burst Caps’ bubble

The Bulawayo giants held on to the two goals they scored in the first half to claim the much-needed victory after disappointing with a defeat and draw in their previous matches.


CAPS UNITED. . . . . 0

HIGHLANDERS returned to winning ways as they dismissed Caps United in an exciting Castle Lager Premier Soccer League match at Barbourfields Stadium yesterday.

The Bulawayo giants held on to the two goals they scored in the first half to claim the much-needed victory after disappointing with a defeat and draw in their previous matches.

They lead the pack with 18 points while Caps United lost yesterday’s tie after an emphatic victory during the week, running riot with a 3-0 win over Green Fuel.

Andrew Mbeba’s powerful header beat goalkeeper Tonderai Mateyaunga off an equally brilliant cross by defender Mvelo Khoza on the right in the 25th minute.

Midfielder Mckinnon Mushore made it two for the Bulawayo giants four minutes later nutmegging an advancing Mateyaunga after he was sent through by Devine Mhindirira.

Bosso coach Kelvin Kaindu said it was good to win after dropping points in the last two games.

“We dropped some points after losing to Chicken Inn and then we went on to draw with Herentals. It’s good that we managed to pick a victory. Caps United came with a lot of confidence after scoring three goals in the last game. We are happy that we keep scoring and today [yesterday] we kept a clean sheet,” Kaindu said.

He was disappointed with chances that his charges missed.

His opposite number Lloyd Chitembwe said coaches are no longer free to speak their minds for fear of being misinterpreted.

“It was a good game of football. I’m sure the neutrals really enjoyed the game. Both sets of players showed the kind of commitment to the cause but as a coach I am not going to delve much into the details and the specifics of the match, why? For a simple reason. I honestly feel at times it’s not correct to say some of these things with emotion with the right kind of feeling. It’s pointless for me to talk about the game. I feel that at the end of the day, one has to have the freedom of expression; just to express myself and if that is taken away, it’s difficult to express myself. So I am not going to say much but just to say it was good game of football. I thought Highlanders did well in the first half and we did well in the second half,” he said.

Just a minute into the game, Mushore beat his marker and made a run into the penalty area but his effort was parried out for corner-kick by Caps goalkeeper Mateyaunga.

Mateyaunga made another save from a Mbeba free-kick in the 12th minute, punching the ball away for a corner-kick.

From the resultant corner-kick, right back Mvelo Khoza received the ball and his curler to the far post found Mateyaunga alert once more.

The second half did not produce any goals but it was Caps United who controlled the game, got a couple of chances but could not get the desired goals.

However, a chance to score for Caps United, came in the 67th minute when Highlanders defender did not notice substitute Ralpha Kawondera ghosting for a cross behind him but the latter's effort was saved by goalkeeper Raphael Pitisi.


Highlanders: R Pitisi, M Khoza, A Faira (G Makaruse 64'), A Mbeba, P Muduhwa, M Ncube, L Chikuhwa, M Mushore, B Ncube (Mason Mushore 68'), D Mhindirira, P Ndlovu (G Nyathi 89')

Caps United: T Mateyaunga, B Kangwa, H Chapusha, E Manokore (I Zambezi 58'), G Murwira, D Chafa (K Mureremba 38'), W Manondo (R Kawondera 46'), P Bamusi (C Sithole 46'), W Makuva (J Bunjira 46'), R Chinyengetere, L Chiwunga

Related Topics