HARARE, Aug. 18 (NewsDay Live) — The National Prosecuting Authority has withdrawn fraud and assault charges against Zimbabwean dancehall musician Ezbornwage Chidamajaya, popularly known as Hulengende.
Chidamajaya was facing two counts of fraud and assault. The fraud charge was withdrawn after the complainant acknowledged receiving the US$3,900 allegedly owed to him.
The assault charge was also withdrawn after the complainant indicated that he no longer wished to proceed with the matter.
However, Chidamajaya was re-arrested shortly after leaving court.
Sources said he was being sought in connection with another fraud case in Chinhoyi, where he is alleged to have defrauded another complainant.
Meanwhile, Chidamajaya’s wife, Millicent “Maloti” Chimonyo, is also being sought by police for allegedly defaulting on court proceedings.
Keep Reading
- State withdraws charges against crocodile farmers
- Family demands closure to 19-year-old murder case
- Top govt official in trouble over ‘questionable’ wealth
- Moyo taken to task over Airport Road land deal
Chimonyo was arrested last year over allegations of cyberbullying musician and socialite Passion Java but reportedly failed to attend subsequent remand proceedings at the Harare Magistrates Court.
The latest developments come days after Hulengende and Chimonyo were arrested shortly after performing at the Harare edition of the Doek and Slay event at Glamis Arena. Reports said the arrests followed complaints from promoters over alleged failure to honour performance commitments after receiving advance deposits.