BF battle abandoned in blood

On the field of play earlier, the Bulawayo giants’ fans felt Basvi denied the club what looked like a penalty just after the half-hour mark.

DYNAMOS . . . . . . . . . (2)2

HIGHLANDERS . . . . . . . .0

(Match abandoned after 37 minutes)

VIOLENCE stopped play at Barbourfields (BF) Stadium yesterday as Highlanders fans, incensed by referee Allan Basvi’s decisions, threw missiles, invaded the pitch and engaged in running battles with the police.

The much-anticipated Castle Lager Premier Soccer League duel between Highlanders and Dynamos triggered more violence outside the stadium, where three people were reportedly stabbed as rival fans continued to tussle over the ill-fated blockbuster encounter.

Unconfirmed reports also indicated that some cars may have been set alight as police threw tear smoke to subdue the rioting soccer fans.

On the field of play earlier, the Bulawayo giants’ fans felt Basvi denied the club what looked like a penalty just after the half-hour mark.

As the match continued, another Highlanders player was brought down inside the box, again and Basvi ignored a call for a foul, much to the chagrin of the Highlanders’ fans at BF’s Soweto end.


Then all hell broke loose in the 37th minute as the menacing Bosso fans threw missiles and invaded the pitch, chasing after the law enforcement agents around the pitch, forcing the police details to seek cover under the VIP terraces.

Not to be outdone, the Dynamos fans at the Mpilo End also invaded the pitch and fighting among the fans ensued and one of the supporters was stretchered off the pitch after he was hit by a missile.

After the furore, referee Basvi said the match commissioner Nelson Kusosa decided it was not safe to continue the match.

Police fired tear smoke outside the stadium as the melee continued.

Dynamos had scored two minutes into the game through Keith Madera, who beat an outstretched goalkeeper Ariel Sibanda after defender Andrew Mbeba failed to account for the DeMbare striker.

A Frank Makarati free-header from a free-kick doubled Dynamos’ lead in the 34th minute after Tanaka Shandirwa was brought down by Mbeba just outside the box.

Dynamos were marauding and Ali Sadiki was unlucky to see his effort narrowly miss the upright in the eighth minute.


Lynoth Chikuhwa missed a golden opportunity for Bosso to equalise in the 10th minute from a beautiful Mckinnon Mushore cross from the right.

As the attack ensued, Ray Lunga connected from outside the penalty area in the 21st minute, but the shot did not bother goalkeeper Taimon Mvula.

From outside the box, Mushore had his shot punched away for a corner kick by Mvula in the 27th minute.

Lunga’s header from a Mbeba cross, a minute later, was saved once again by Mvula.

Shandirwa missed a sitter from inside the box in the 30th minute after being set up by Madera, with the Highlanders defence caught in sixes and sevens once again.

But what looked like a humdinger of a match was marred by the unruly behaviour of the fans, eight minutes before the breather.


Dynamos: T Mvula, D Mudadi, K Moyo, E Moyo, F Makarati, J Makunike, E Jalai, I Sadiki, E Ilunga, K Madera, T Shandirwa

Highlanders: A Sibanda, A Mbeba, A Faira, M Ndlovu, P Muduhwa, B Manhire, L Chikuhwa, M Ncube, R Lunga, M Mushore, E Farasi

Related Topics