MASHWEDE Holdings director Tapiwa Mashamhanda bagged the Businessman of the Year award at the 2023 Zimbabwe National Chamber of Commerce (ZNCC) Mashonaland regional awards ceremony held in Harare last week.
The ZNCC awards honour and recognise remarkable business performance in the previous fiscal year.
These awards are a build-up to the National Business Awards which will be held in Victoria Falls from June 28 to 30 this year.
Adjudicators of the awards said they were impressed by the fact that Mashamhanda is a dynamic, innovative and adaptable individual.
“He is flexible, self-motivated and has a high level of professional and personal integrity,” the panel said.
“His company has also participated in the community through initiatives such as construction of a crèche in Mudzi, electrification of a rural school and township in Chivi, construction of a community dam in Chivi and sponsoring various children’s homes.”
Speaking at the event, ZNCC Mashonaland region vice-president Josephine Takundwa said: “As the chamber, we are striving to contribute towards sustainable development and building a strong and productive economy that improves the quality of life of the general population.
“In doing so, we always take a moment like this to celebrate and honour those who have demonstrated outstanding and exemplary efforts in the achievement of this goal.”
Other award winners were:
- Most Improved Exporters’ (Tobacco): Winner — Chevron Leaf Tobacco; Runner-up — Northern Tobacco Private Limited,
- Most Improved Exporter (Manufacturing): Winner — Zimbabwe Spinners and Weavers Limited; Runner-up — Capri,
- Most Improved Exporter (Agriculture): Winner — Seed Co; Runner-up — ShawashAgri Private Limited,
- Most Improved Exporter (Horticulture): Winner — Prime Seed Company.
- Most Improved Exporter (Mining): Winner — Zimasco Private Limited; Runner-up — Natural Stone Export Company,
- MSME Award of the Year: Winner — Showcase IT; Runner-up — Grasp Private Limited,
- Innovation award: Winner — YO App Private Limited; Runner-up — OK Zimbabwe,
- Financial Institution Supporting MSME award: Winner — Nedbank Zimbabwe; Runner-up — BancABC,
- Tertiary Institution Award: Winner — Chinhoyi University of Technology; Runner-up — Harare Institution of Technology,
- Young Entrepreneur of the Year award: Winner — Henry Dandadzi (founder and owner of Interpath Medical Laboratories); Runner-up — Paula Marowa (founder and owner of Rukanda Pride),
- Businesswoman of the Year award: Winner — Daisy Chavhundura of Booties Pharmacy; Runner-up — Afra Nanhanga of CAG Travellers Coaches,
- Lifetime Achievement award: Winner — Canaan Dube (chairperson of Hippo Valley) and Herbert Nkala (group chairperson of FBC Holdings).