Chiefs frustrate Bosso

Kelvin Kaindu, Highlanders' head coach said his boys did not come to the party.

BULAWAYO CHIEFS . . . . . . . . . .(1) 1

HIGHLANDERS . . . . . . . . . . . . . .(1) 1

A NEWLOOK Bulawayo Chiefs outfit put up a good performance to grab a point against Highlanders in a Castle Lager Premier Soccer League match at Barbourfields Stadium yesterday.

Highlanders scored first through Lynoth Chikuhwa who, however, was not at his best and was pulled out in the second half for Calvin Chigonero. A result that some may have predicted mathematically when using btts score predictions.

The Ninjas replied through Never Raizhu with both goals scored in the first half, while the second half proved to be a dreary affair.

Chikuhwa hit the back of the net three minutes before half time from inside the penalty area from an Andrew Mbeba corner-kick. But that goal was quickly cancelled by Chiefs in the 44th minute through a penalty by Raizhu, after Bosso's Mckinnon Mushore pulled down The Ninjas' striker, who stepped up to make the conversion himself.

Chiefs held on to the end of the game.

Coach Thulani Sibanda was happy with the point.

“There are quite a number of things that we did. I just told the boys that of course you don’t have the experience, but you are talented. I always give Peter Ndlovu's example. When he went to England he did not have the experience, but was talented. Talent can carry you on. We also looked at what qualitative advantage Highlanders had over us. We knew they would use Mushore in terms of elimination and we did our homework to cut supplies to him. We knew Chikuhwa is good in terms of finishing; if you pin Melikhaya and Mushore then you can go 50-50 with Highlanders,” Sibanda said.

Kelvin Kaindu, Highlanders' head coach said his boys did not come to the party.

“In the last interview I did say that complacency was going to be out worst enemy. We looked flat as much as we tried to keep the ball and play in the opponent's half, we did not come to the party. We did try to come back in the game towards the end of the first half but after that it was difficult for us,” Kaindu said.

In the first 15 minutes of the game, there was no goalmouth action from either side, but a minute later Chiefs goalkeeper Prosper Matutu made a brilliant save from a Peter Muduhwa effort as the defender got to the end of an Andrew Mbeba free-kick with a powerful header.

Another chance for Highlanders came in the 24th minute, but Chikuhwa opted to shoot instead of pushing the ball to a better-positioned Brighton Ncube and his weak shot did not trouble Matutu, who made yet another spectacular save in the 39th minute from a Chikuhwa header following a well-executed cross from Mbeba.

Highlanders were all over The Ninjas from every angle, but could not get a goal.


Bulawayo Chiefs: P Matutu, C Musikavanhu, E Chikwende, X Moyo, N Ncube, P Shoko, M Sithole (B Sibanda 70') G Muchenje, N Masilele (N Dube 67'), J Masaza

Highlanders: A Sibanda, M Chigumira (B Mlotshwa 85'), A Faira, A Mbeba, P Muduhwa, M Ncube, B Ncube, M Mushore (G Makaruse 46'), L Chikuhwa (C Chigonero 46'), M Mushore (M Sibanda 80'), R Sibanda (H Mhlanga 55')


Related Topics