THE Zimbabwe Broadcasting Corporation (ZBC) has been plunged into its gravest governance crisis in years after a ministerial probe into how US$52 million in licence-fee revenue was spent triggered the dramatic dismissal of board chairperson Helliate Rushwaya. 

Within days of Rushwaya’s sacking, then Information, Publicity and Broadcasting Services minister Jenfan Muswere was himself removed from the ministry that oversees the state broadcaster and reassigned to the less influential skills audit portfolio, in a reshuffle that has fuelled speculation of tensions at the highest levels of government and exposed deep divisions in Zanu PF. 

Muswere was replaced by Zhemu Soda, while Rushwaya exited with immediate effect under a cloud of alleged corporate governance breaches. 

At the centre of the storm is the US$52 million — revenue largely generated from the controversial vehicle-linked radio licence introduced last year, which insiders allege could not be fully reconciled with documented expenditure. 

In a five-page letter dated February 2, 2026, Muswere dismissed Rushwaya “with immediate effect”, invoking Section 16(1) of the Public Entities Corporate Governance Act.  

The letter catalogues a litany of alleged governance failures, which include irregular executive appointments made without advertisement or interviews, absence of a compliant strategic plan, unapproved excess expenditure, unauthorised remuneration packages, breaches of procurement laws and failure to enforce performance contracts. 

Keep Reading

Multiple government sources, including documents gleaned by the Zimbabwe Independent, said Muswere had ordered senior management to produce detailed line-item expenditure reports, procurement documentation and proof of how licence income was allocated to programming, transmission infrastructure, staff costs and capital projects. 

“The figures simply did not add up,” one senior official alleged. “Over US$50 million was collected, but there was no clear, consolidated account of how the money was used.” 

Insiders further claimed several executives were granted hefty salary packages, some reportedly exceeding US$10 000 per month, without ministerial knowledge or approval. 

“The authorisation of salary increases must go through the line ministry. In this case, the minister was not informed. These were substantial increments,” a source alleged. 

The probe also reportedly flagged the handling of a US$6 million fund earmarked for the ZIMDIGITAL migration project, concerns explicitly referenced in Muswere’s dismissal letter. 

Further controversy surrounds the distribution of licence revenue. Under existing arrangements, proceeds are expected to be shared among ZBC, the Broadcasting Authority of Zimbabwe and Transmedia Corporation. However, sources allege the full amount was retained and utilised by ZBC. 

The crisis, the latest in a long line of scandals to afflict the national broadcaster, comes barely months after the government gazetted regulations compelling motorists to pay a US$92 annual ZBC radio licence fee as a prerequisite for vehicle registration and insurance.  

Authorities presented the levy as a sustainable funding solution for public broadcasting. Instead, it ignited fierce public backlash. 

Critics argue the measure effectively forces motorists to bankroll a state broadcaster whose editorial independence and public value is contested. Supporters maintain predictable funding is essential to shield public broadcasting from commercial and political vulnerability. 

When contacted for comment, Rushwaya denied the allegations and dismissed suggestions of governance failures. 

“The issues you have raised appear to be premised on disinformation and malice,” she said. “Regardless, as the issues relate to both governance oversight and operational issues, the permanent secretary at the ministry of Information, Publicity and Broadcasting Services and the chief executive officer of the corporation are best-placed to respond formally.” 

She referred questions to ZBC chief executive officer Sugar Chagonda and the ministry’s permanent secretary, Nick Mangwana. 

Soda, Mangwana and Chagonda did not respond to questions from the Independent. Muswere’s phone went unanswered. 

Government correspondence seen by the Independent suggests the dismissal was intended to signal a tougher stance on corporate governance across public entities. 

In his February 2 letter, Muswere accused the ZBC board of proceeding “without any advertisement or interview” in appointing senior executives, in violation of mandatory due process requirements under the Public Entities Corporate Governance Act. 

He cited the appointment of a chief operating officer as having been conducted contrary to established legislation, describing the “cherry-picking” of executives as unlawful and inconsistent with constitutional principles of transparency and merit. 

“Without any advertisement or interview, the board proceeded with the appointment of senior executives without adhering to the mandatory due process as explicitly set out in … the Public Entities Corporate Governance Act,” Muswere wrote.  

“This illegal action violated the law, including essential governance checks and balances designed to ensure merit-based and transparent appointments.  

“The illegal cherry-picking of senior executives is a violation of corporate governance, labour legislation, and the principles and values set out in the Constitution of Zimbabwe …” 

The minister further alleged that Rushwaya “illegally and unilaterally” processed contracts and authorised salaries, allowances and perks for four senior executives without line ministry or Corporate Governance Unit approval, with some reportedly earning around US$10 000 per month, plus perks, outside approved thresholds in terms of the Public Entities Corporate Governance Act. 

Muswere also took aim at the absence of a 2026–2030 strategic plan aligned to National Development Strategy 2, saying failure to submit the plan breached statutory provisions and undermined the performance contract framework binding public entity boards. 

“The strategic plan should be submitted to the line ministry as it forms the basis for the annual performance contract of the ZBC board chairperson. Failure to submit an NDS2-aligned ZBC strategic plan violates Section 22 of the Public Entities Corporate Governance Act. Up to now, no budget or strategic plan has been submitted,” he said 

On financial management, he alleged the board violated the Public Finance Management Act by incurring unauthorised expenditure exceeding approved limits by US$10 million in 2025, “constituting a direct breach of prescribed financial controls and fiduciary duty”. 

The letter further claimed that more than US$6 million allocated to ZIMDIGITAL was not properly ring-fenced and that budgeted resources and procured items, including equipment, vehicles, buses and refurbishment works at Pockets Hill, Mbare and Central Radio, were unaccounted for. 

“As board chairperson you illegally approved and authorised payment of salaries, benefits and allowances without following due process. This action was in direct violation of the approved model conditions of service and relevant Treasury directives, constituting a serious breach of Section 19 of the Public Entities Corporate Governance Act,” Muswere stated in the letter. 

He warned that knowingly approving transactions in contravention of statutory provisions could expose board members to fines, imprisonment up to one year, or both.