HARARE mayor Jacob Mafume has accused municipal police and senior council officials of frustrating reform efforts aimed at restoring order and improving service delivery in the capital. 

The latest tensions expose deepening cracks within Harare City Council, as political leaders push for tougher enforcement and structural reforms while sections of the administration resist measures they view as extreme or disruptive — a standoff that threatens to stall efforts to tame chaos in the city centre. 

Speaking during a full council meeting at Town House last week, Mafume said internal resistance was stalling key proposals designed to strengthen enforcement and clean up the city centre. 

“I recommended that the city purchase a mobile car crusher — a machine used to flatten vehicles that repeatedly violate city regulations — but the idea was rejected as too harsh,” Mafume said. 

He also proposed closing sections of Leopold Takawira Street, particularly at the intersections of Robert Mugabe Road and Jason Moyo Avenue, to curb illegal activities around Town House. 

The remarks come as the National Public Passenger Transport Associations has formally asked council to adopt new by-laws to regulate public transport operators and reduce disorder on city roads. 

Keep Reading

The apex body said only 4 000 of Harare’s estimated 15 000 kombis are properly licensed and called for a system similar to that used in Bulawayo, where operators operate under organised and accountable associations. 

Meanwhile, council has filled its long-vacant chamber secretary post, appointing lawyer Warren Chiwawa as the substantive office bearer after securing approval from the Local Government Board. 

In a letter dated February 2, 2026, Local Government Board chairperson Stephen Chakaipa confirmed the endorsement, saying Chiwawa outperformed other shortlisted candidates during interviews held last year. 

Mafume welcomed the appointment, saying the confirmation of a substantive chamber secretary brought long-awaited stability to the city’s top offices. 

“Our congratulations are in order. We are happy for this appointment,” he said. 

Chiwawa pledged to work collaboratively with councillors and maintain operational continuity. 

“Now that there is a substantive office holder, we can work together effectively. There will not be major changes in how we operate. I will continue engaging in the same manner as before,” he said.