By SAMANTHA SIBANDA
Some residents of Emganwini high-density suburb in Bulawayo have reportedly fallen sick after drinking suspected contaminated water supplied by the city council, sparking fears of another water-borne disease outbreak in the city.
Last year, 13 people died of diarrhoea in Bulawayo while over 1 000 were hospitalised after consuming contaminated water in Luveve.
Bulawayo Progressive Resident Association chairperson Ambrose Sibindi yesterday said residents of Emganwini were complaining of stomach pains after consuming the water.
“It was confirmed today (yesterday) that the council water was contaminated causing the residents to be sick. Residents are experiencing running stomach after taking the water,” he said.
“The secretary for water has been there on the ground and managed to talk to four people who have running stomachs caused by the council-supplied contaminated water.”
Sibindi said the residents revealed that in 2018, a similar incident happened when residents fell sick after the council disconnected water supplies.
“We want to engage Bulawayo City Council to help us look for the source of water contamination in Emganwini. They must make free tests of water so as to detect whether it is contaminated or not,” Sibindi said.
Council’s health services director Edwin Sibanda confirmed the fears over water contamination, adding that water test samples had been taken.
“Only one test sample was confirmed as contaminated while the rest came out normal as usual,” Sibanda said.
“The engineers are doing something about the issue. The best advice I can give to the people is to boil the water if they doubt its quality.”
- Follow us on Twitter @NewsDayZimbabwe