BY NIZBERT MOYO
TWO youths aged 18 and 20 drowned in a disused pit in Pelandaba West at the weekend, bringing to three the number of people that have drowned in the pit.
This follows the drowning of a 15-year-old boy in the same pit last week.
Bulawayo provincial police spokesperson, Inspector Abednico Ncube confirmed the incident yesterday.
“It is confirmed that two more people drowned at Pelandaba West pit,” Ncube said.
Bulawayo City Council (BCC)’s acting chief fire officer, Lynos Phiri said the two were removed from the pit by the police sub aqua unit.
Phiri said the youths were suspected to had been swimming on Saturday evening when they drowned.
They reportedly called for help from neighbours to no avail.
In December last year, Matabeleland Institute for Human Rights (MIHR) co-ordinator Khumbulani Maphosa wrote to the BCC about the danger posed by pits, saying that they had become a death trap but the council said it did not have the resources to fill them up.
Follow us on Twitter @NewsDayZimbabwe