BY SILAS NKALA
TWO men, believed to be part of protesters who allegedly fatally stoned a police officer during violent demonstrations in Bulawayo last month, were on Friday granted $100 bail each by High Court judge Justice Nokuthula Moyo.
Charles Thomas (54) of Njube suburb and Bernard Sibanda (18) of New Lobengula recently filed their application for bail at the High Court, through their lawyer Dumisani Dube of Mathonsi Ncube Law Chambers.
Justice Moyo granted them bail with stringent reporting conditions.
“The applicants be and are hereby admitted to bail pending trial on the following conditions, each applicant to deposit sum of $100 with the registrar of the High Court of Bulawayo. First applicant (Thomas) to continue residing at Number F78 Njube Bulawayo, second applicant to continue residing at number 70082/2New Lobengula Bulawayo. Each applicant is to report twice a week on Mondays and Fridays at Central Police Station CID Law and Order between 6am and 6pm,” Justice Moyo ruled.
The two are alleged to have fatally stoned Constable Alexio Maune (32), who was on duty, during the January 14 protests at Entumbane in Bulawayo.
In their bail statement, the accused persons argued that they were entitled to their liberty and that they have not shown any risk of endangering the public or absconding if
released on bail.
Sibanda said he was a student who had no relationship with Thomas.
He said he was arrested when police officers conducted a door-to-door search in New Lobengula.
They both argued that they were not at the scene of the crime on that particular day.
The State had opposed bail, arguing that due to the seriousness of the alleged offence, the accused persons were likely to abscond.