THIS year’s Hwange Open Golf championship scheduled for Friday to Sunday has been indefinitely put on hold due to “unforeseen” logistical circumstances, an official at Hwange Golf Club has said.
BY FORTUNE MBELE
Charles Zinyemba, acting Hwange Golf Club acting president yesterday issued an apology to all golfers who were set to take part in the tournament.
“As Hwange Golf Club we take pride in hosting this event and will advise on the revised date after consultation with the Zimbabwe Golf Association, the Matabeleland Golf Association and other stakeholders. Unforeseen circumstances on the logistical front which are beyond the control of the company, Hwange Colliery Company Limited (HCCL) and the organising company has necessitated this move so as to ultimately preserve the integrity of this flagship annual event which is one of the biggest in Zimbabwe’s golfing calendar,” Zinyemba said.
Further, Zinyemba said HCCL “…regrettably advises all professional and amateur golfers in the country and the region, sister clubs to Hwange Golf Club, current and prospective sponsors and all stakeholders that the 2018 Hwange Open Golf Tournament, has been postponed indefinitely until further notice. We sincerely apologise for any inconveniences caused and the somewhat short notice. The revised dates will be advised in due course. ”
Mutare-based 28-year-old Robson Chinhoi was last year’s winner after cruising to a 12 under par to clinch the title by seven shots with Trynos Muradzikwa coming second with a five under par and veteran Julius Kalimazeni coming third with a one under par score.
Gweru-based Stella Feldman clinched the title in the women’s category. The Champions Division went to Tafara Mpofu with Borniface Chigorimbo and Josphat Phiri on second and third.
The ‘B’ Division category went to Edwin Moyo with Miton Magidi on position two and John Monama coming third.
Last year’s showcase attracted 155 golfers with 35 professionals and 120 amateurs taking to the greens.