Mutare City Council’s fire department is investigating the cause of a fire that razed down Glow Petroleum service station and three vehicles on Monday.
BY KENNETH NYANGANI
A diesel tanker and two vehicles that were waiting to be attended to at the service station were reduced to ashes as several motorists who were in the queue hurriedly drove off the service station after a generator that was being filled with diesel reportedly caught fire.
However, sources told NewsDay that the fire was caused by an electrical fault.
The fire started at around 4pm, but the fire brigade only managed to control the raging blaze around midnight.
In an interview yesterday, council’s chief fire officer Lloyd Mujaho said they were investigating the cause of the fire.
“We are yet to ascertain the cause of the fire and investigations are ongoing and we will come back to you,” he said.
An employee at a nearby company, who declined to be named told NewsDay that the fire could have emanated from the diesel tanker that was feeding a generator.
“There was a bowser with diesel, I am told that they were putting diesel into a generator since they sometimes use the generator,” he said.
“There was a spark on the generator and that is when all hell broke loose. The workers then ran for dear life. There were a lot of cars and most drivers drove away in their cars, but unfortunately the bowser with diesel and other two cars went up in smoke.”