FIFTEEN vendors accused of throwing stones at Zimbabwe Republic Police and Harare municipal police officers during a combined blitz in May last year were yesterday removed from remand after the State witnesses failed to turn up for trial.
BY DESMOND CHINGARANDE
The vendors were being charged with disorderly conduct when they appeared before magistrate Eric Kadye.
In removing them from remand, Kadye said the State witnesses who are all ZRP and council officers failed to turn up for trial on several occasions and the case could not continue.
He said the State could proceed by way of summons.
The State alleged that on May 7 last year, the 15 suspects unlawfully and intentionally engaged in disorderly and riotous conduct to the State by throwing stones to ZRP officers, City of Harare trucks and council security staff .
The court further heard that the suspects used threatening and abusive words to the officers intending to provoke a breach of peace.
Netsai Mushayabasa appeared for the State, while Gift Mtisi and Kuzivakwashe Ngodza represented the vendors.