GMB pays 95% of farmers

GRAIN Marketing Board (GMB) Bulawayo says it has paid 95% of farmers who delivered grain to its depots amid concern it is facing challenges settling the remaining 5%, whose accounts are not in order.

BY SHARON SIBINDI

Speaking at a media tour, southern region manager, Podiso Mafa said in the past season, the institution recorded several success stories.

“We have paid 95% of the farmers and bulk of the queries are from farmers who had EcoCash. Some farmers stay in remote areas and they bank once and others’ accounts are dormant, while some have EcoCash challenges.

“The government has been so good to us and GMB still has the money to pay the remaining 5%,” she said.

Mafa said Treasury and the Reserve Bank of Zimbabwe released $36 million for grain acquisition in 2017/18.

“As of Friday last week, our local grain intake stood just above 1,2 million tonnes. Going forward, we believe the success of last season has positioned us well to continue on this growth trajectory,” she said.

Mafa said the 2018/19 marketing season has already started and they were ready to receive grain deliveries.

Loading...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.