In an incident that has left villagers in Goromonzi shocked, a 39-year-old man allegedly consumed a poisonous substance following a misunderstanding with his wife over female panties found in his trousers’ pocket.
By Jairos Saunyama
Robson Chikunda, of Tazvitya Village, died upon admission at Rusike Clinic after he allegedly consumed an unknown poisonous substance after his wife Sarah Purovhero (30) had discovered the panties stashed in his pocket, leading to a heated argument.
Efforts to get a comment from Mashonaland East Province acting police spokesperson Assistant Inspector Tendai Mwanza were fruitless yesterday.
According to a reliable source, on May 5 and at around 8pm, the now-deceased and his wife retired to bed and a misunderstanding arose after Purovhero asked who the owner of the female panties she had found in her husband’s trousers pocket was.
It is reported that in rage Chikunda bolted out of the bedroom to an unknown destination.
On May 6 at around 9am, the now-deceased was found by a passerby lying helplessly by the roadside complaining of severe stomach pains. The passerby notified his wife who then hired a taxi to Rusike Clinic where Chikunda was pronounced dead upon arrival. Goromonzi police attended the scene and Chikunda’s body was ferried to the Parirenyatwa Hospital mortuary for a postmortem.