Zimbabwe People First (ZimPF) has claimed that some its supporters in Mashonaland Central had their homes burnt to ashes by suspected Zanu PF thugs.
BY JAMES MUONWA/XOLISANI NCUBE
One of the victims, Passmore Simba (31), told NewsDay yesterday that the assailants were known Zanu PF youths, who had earlier issued threats of violence.
“It was around 2am last Saturday, when I suddenly woke up to a raging fire, which had engulfed our bedroom hut. I went outside the house and spotted two men (names withheld), whom I positively identified, as we live in the same village. I then went back into the hut and rescued my wife and two minor children,” he narrated.
No one was injured, but Simba lost maize, fertiliser, tobacco seed, clothes, household utensils and groceries in the blaze.
The family was now sleeping in a make-shift shelter and surviving on food handouts from well-wishers since the incident.
ZimPF spokesperson, Jealousy Mawarire said Simba, who is the ward political commissar in Shamva North, had been a target to instil fear among opposition supporters ahead of party leader Joice Mujuru’s maiden rally in Bindura next month.
“He is not the only one who was attacked, we have seen an increase in the number of our supporters who are being attacked by Zanu PF people. But as ZimPF, we want to make it clear and known to Zanu PF and its thugs that the people of Zimbabwe are more resolute and determined to see this regime out of power. No amount of intimidation will work,” he said.
Mawarire said Simba, before the arson, had been warned of the impending attack by his political adversaries, who were said to have been miffed by his attendance of a leadership meeting recently in Bindura, which was addressed by Mujuru.
“We condemn those callous acts being perpetrated Zanu PF,” Mawarire said.
A report was made at Madziwa Police Station and investigations are reportedly in progress.
“The whole issue is to instil fear in our supporters so that they do not attend our star rally slated for September 3 in Bindura. As ZimPF, our message to our people is that let us intensify recruitment to ensure that by 2018, there will be no Zanu PF to talk about so that we end this barbaric act,” Mawarire said.
But Zanu PF provincial chairperson, Dickson Mafios said he was unaware of the incident, saying “some of these small parties cook up stories just to tarnish the image of Zanu PF”.