Twenty-nine early career scientists awarded CIRCLE Visiting Fellowships

Twenty-nine early career scientists from 24 African universities and research institutes have been awarded Visiting Fellowships under the Climate Impacts Research Capacity and Enhancement (CIRCLE) programme being implemented by the African Academy of Sciences (AAS).

kenya wat wat

The 29 CIRCLE Visiting Fellows (CVF s) will spend a year in another institution outside of their own researching the impact of climate change in five main thematic

 Agriculture

 Water

 Health and Livelihoods

 Energy

 Policy.

This is the second cohort of CVFs following the completion of the first cohort in December 2015.

An induction workshop for the second cohort of CVFs will be held as part of a series that will run from 8 to 16 February 2016 at the AAS secretariat in Nairobi, Kenya.

The induction workshop for the new CIRCLE Visiting Fellows will be held from 10 to 12 February 2016.

CIRCLE is supported by the UK Department for International Development (DFID) with a £4.5 million funding and the AAS and the Association for Commonwealth Universities (ACU) in the UK are jointly managing and implementing the programme.

Thirty-four CVFs were selected in 2015. The 34 will take part in a CIRCLE

Completion Workshop taking place from 8 to 10 February 2016. CIRCLE has also recorded some success with the first cohort producing 30 publications from CIRCLE-funded research results comprising research articles in peer reviewed journals, review articles, blog posts, conference proceedings and book chapters by the end of 2015.

CIRCLE also enabled CVFs to make 14 publications which are not from

CIRCLE-funded research results.

Eighty percent of cohort 1 CVFs presented findings from their CIRCLE-funded research at international conferences across the globe in 2015.

CIRCLE will offer a total of 100 fellowships in the five years of the programme. From the 63 CVFs awarded to date, 52 percent are male while the remaining 48 percent are female.

A scientific proposal development workshop will be held on 15 and 16 February to train early career female scientists on how to apply for CIRCLE Visiting Fellowships.

“This is being done to ensure that we have a 50/50 ratio of male and female CVFs by close of awarding 100 fellowships,” said Benjamin Gyampoh, the CIRCLE programme manager at AAS.

Do you have a coronavirus story? You can email us on: